Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avaanstar Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2008, 03:58 PM
    I can't smile anymore
    I have had braces for two and a half years now. I am getting them off hopefully at the end of September. Yay! Well, here's the problem: I have to wear rubber bands that are vertical from my two top front teeth to my bottom front teeth. I hate it! It really is embarrassing... I look like a snake or a vampire. So whenever people come around, I take them off. The problem with that is it is delaying when I am getting my braces off.

It is summer, so it isn't so bad because people from school don't know I have them in. BUT, school starts September 3rd and that means I will have to wear them to school.
    I am extremely sad. I really thought I'd get my braces off before school started and I believe I'll be so much happier when I get them off. Why? Because then I'll be able to smile and laugh. I really don't smile as much as I used to and I don't laugh that much because I don't like showing my rubber bands. I know my rubber bands may seem like a lame excuse to not smile as much---but it's true.

What should I do? Any comforting tips?
    YourDarkMystery Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 04:23 PM
    I also have braceses and I hate those enough. I feel bad for the rubber band issue because my friend had to do that. I felt so bad. It looked lik it hurt, but you no what, she got them off a week later. Rubber bands (if you ware them 24/7) yes it will hurt that's why you got medicine! :] but you will be very happy with the quickness they actually work! So don't worry! I see your pic and your a beautiflu girl. Don't be embaressed because your friends will understand and hell, when you get those braceses off, you will be sooo happy, I honeslty think it will all be worth it.

So all in all

Don't worry about what they think

This is for you, and only u

Love the pain and embarrassment, because those babies will be gone in no time!

Good luck!

:]
    avaanstar Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by YourDarkMystery
    i also have braceses and i hate those enough. i feel bad for the rubber band issue becuase my friend had to do that. i felt so bad. it looked lik it hurt, but ya no what, she got them off a week later. rubber bands (if u ware them 24/7) yes it will hurt thats why u got medicine!! :] but u will be very happy with the quickness they actually work! so dont worry! i see ur pic and ur a beautiflu girl. dont be embaressed because ur friends will understand and hell, when u get those braceses off, u will be sooo happy, i honeslty think it will all be worth it.

so all in all

dont worry about what they think

this is for you, and only u

love the pain and embarassment, because those babies will be gone in no time!!

good luck!

Thank you!

jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 07:20 PM
    I had that elastics configuration too - and I was in my 20's! :) I hated it, I thought it made me look like I had long stringy spittle dangling in my mouth all the time...

BUT - I'm the only one who thought that, and the only one who noticed or paid attention to them. Everyone else ignored them, and after a while, when I realized no one cared that I had braces and elastics, I got over my anxiety. Then, before I knew it, the elastics were gone. Then, before I knew it, the braces were gone!

Hang in there. It's almost over, and keep in mind how you will have a life of beautiful, healthy teeth if you just get through this. At your 10-year high school reunion, no one will even remember you had braces! In the meantime, keep wearing your elastics as instructed, because in the end, compliance with treatment gets them off faster!
    Jigicou Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2008, 07:37 PM
    I have the same thing you just got to wear the bands and get it over with it. And the longer you don`t wear the bands the longer you have to wear you braces
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Seriously, Avaanstar, NO ONE is paying as much attention to your looks as you are. If anyone cared that much, they'd be fretting over themselves, too.

I understand the fretting, but it is a complete waste of energy, isn't it? And you've said it yourself, when you give in to the fretting and take the bands off, you lengthen the whole process, right? That's lose-lose.

Nobody else is giving it any thought at all. They aren't. And if you can find ONE person at school who actually does manage to say something inappropriate about your rubber bands... I'll bet you money it will turn out to be someone you couldn't give a rip about yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a smile mean much? [ 2 Answers ]

Well long story short, I like this guy a lot and my one of my friends knows . So one day she saw him walking and she asked him some questions . And he wasn't really paying attetion to her . But then when she asked him if he knew who I was, right away she said he got a little smile and he got...

Stop! Look! Smile! [ 1 Answers ]

Still More Signs Technology Took Over Your Life - You are so knowledgeable about technology that you feel secure enough to say "I don't know" when someone asks you a technology question instead of feeling compelled to make something up. - You rotate your screen savers more frequently than...

Its Okay to Smile [ 1 Answers ]

Fixing Broken Computers An office technician got a call from a user. The user told the tech that her computer was not working. She described the problem and the tech concluded that the computer needed to be brought in and serviced. He told her to "Unplug the power cord and bring it up here...

Smile of the Week 1 [ 2 Answers ]

I thought I was done for today, then read my CFS mail. Just when I thought that I've read them all, here comes another one that I wish I thought of myself... I really enjoy sharing these with you. From Completely Free Software site Newsletter. check the site out yourselves sometimes.....

View more questions Search