Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Helping girlfriend move out of ex's parents
    Well, things between my girlfriend and her current living situation have finally reached the boiling point to where she is moving out of that place and into my place. She does have 2 girls, the ex does NOT live in that house or anything. Well today her and I are going to get her stuff out of that place and the ex mother in law(MIL) wants to talk to my girlfriend about the situation. This is fine with me as I will pack her things as they talk about visitation and such, they are dead set AGAINST her moving out. Well now she thinks bringing the children will be a good idea, I on the other hand do not agree. I feel as though they will use the girls against my girlfriend or if things get heated there during the discussion it wouldn't be a great environment.

What do you think?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 01:47 PM
    If you really want this g/f to move in with you, you have to take the whole bundle, kids and all and from your post you are already in the thick of things. So just get it done and get them all moved out and out of there. After, get the kids to bed and talk it out. Ex mother in law will probably create a problem because they are, after all, her grandkids. So the father of the kids is nowhere in sight ? Take one step at a time. Just ge this one done.

You are taking on a lot:eek:
    pinkcelly123 Posts: 51, Reputation: 0

Aug 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Hmm truthfully if she wants to bring the kids do you really think you have a choice? I mean are you willing to tell you girlfriend no if this is a set thing she really wants to do. You have the right to tell her that you feel her bringing the kid will cause problems between you and her but tell her in a informing way not a demanding way. You guys will talk it out or she will get mad at you ethier way be honest.. talk about and listen to what she has to say as well
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Well now she thinks bringing the children will be a good idea,
    Ever try to separate a mother from her children? You can't!! She will never relax, or be happy without them. This is a young relationship, but on this, you have to support her decision, as the kids are a given.

I can understand that you may not be ready for it, and your communication skills will be tested, but put aside any fears, and reservations, and focus on giving 100%. No matter where it leads, make sure You lead.

See the blessings, deal with the problems.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Just an update:

We talked about the situation when we got home and we addressed my concerns as well as hers. After talking, she did realize that it may not be a good idea to bring the girls to an already hostile situation. I calmly told her that whatever decision she picks, I will support but just worry that the girls shouldn't be placed in the position they would more than likely placed in. That they would be used as a bargaining chip or if things got heated it would put the girls in a bad situation by them thinking they have to pick between their mother and grandmother.

So communication has worked once again. Thanks for everyone's advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How old do I have to be to move out of my parents house? [ 7 Answers ]

I'd like to know how old I have to be to move out of my parents house, I am only 15, and I think that I could have my life together better if they weren't around all the time, I have thought this through, I can cook and clean, I'm not wanting to right away, not until I get a job and a car and I...

30 yr old who wants to move out and afraid to tell her parents [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 30 yr old adult who feels like a child. My parents are European and Catholic and I still live at home. That itself should explain it all. My life has been kind of a roller coaster. I have been engaged twice but couldn't go through with it. I am now the happiest I have ever been with...

My Girlfriend Won't Stand Up To Her Parents. [ 25 Answers ]

OK, here's the deal... I met this AMAZING girl back in March. In May, she came over one night, and told me that she was completely in love with me, and that I make her feel like nobody else ever has before. She said that she wanted desperately to move in with me, because it hurts her to be away...

College graduate helping parents buy a new apartment [ 9 Answers ]

Ok. Here is my situation. I recently graduated from college and have been living in Boston with my parents since. I currently live with my 56 years old mother and my dad who no longer works because of a work related injury that left him disabled. My parenst have about $15,000 in the bank that they...

My girlfriend an her ridiculous parents that she follows [ 4 Answers ]

I met this girl and starting going to her pentacostal church an everything was great but she wanted to know that I was a changed guy for God an we got together March 11 06 but this girl was 17 at the time and her parents decided to separate us twice for no real reason but they thought we were too...

View more questions Search