Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    looseendz Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Health reimbursement
    Hello All, My job reimburses up to $250 for joining a gym or weight watchers, etc, my question is they put the money in my paycheck and took taxes. Is this how it normally works? Thanks in advance. I am in Massachusetts if that matters
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Yes, that is now it normally works.

Physical fitness training and/or weight reduction programs do NOT fall under the normal tax-free medical costs.

Hence, any incentive to join such programs are taxable income.

Aug 27, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Thank you, I thought because it was reimbursement it shouldn't be taxed because I was already taxed on my money and then just reimbursed.
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Sorry, the reimbursement is EXTRA compensation provided by the employer as a reward for an encouraged activity.

Aug 28, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Sorry, the reimbursement is EXTRA compensation provided by the employer as a reward for an encouraged activity.

Thanks Again (We can never get out of paying taxes)
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Sep 13, 2008, 08:59 AM
    What's better more money or less what difference if its taxed you still have more in your pocket
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 10:15 AM
    yes, it is taxable, sorry I wish it was not either. For example the company car I drive, I have to track milage personal and business, The value of the personal usage is taxable

Sep 13, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Why is everyone trying to get out of taxes yes I know there to high but look at our national debt who should pay for it? And by the way anyone here who votes vote for anything other than a dem or repub?
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Erik:

I understand your frustration, but this is NOT the forum to vent on national policy or politics.

It is a TAX forum, so let's just discuss taxes, okay?

Sep 15, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Still tax is policy and trying to get out of paying a little extra tax when someone gives you a little extra money is wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocation reimbursement [ 2 Answers ]

What is a reasonable relocation bonus for an individual moving from PA to DC?

Know my career,my fathers health and my moms health [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am sonal,studying in t.y.bsc in microbiology. Usually attending college is like a burden for me,I fear a lot in public attention,sometimes even start shivering while giving presentations,due to fear I can't even concentrate in my studies and get poor marks even ,I don't feel like going to...

How to record a reimbursement? [ 2 Answers ]

;) I paid shipping cost for my customer, but I will get it back from my customer. How do record the transaction.

Reimbursement [ 2 Answers ]

I need to reimburse an employee for expenses that they paid for with their own cash... it says to issue a check for reimbursement and journalize this cash purchase of merchandise... when issuing a check on the check stub who do I write the check to and what is it for and when journalizing it what...

View more questions Search