Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbcpal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Dog not passing urine
    My dog is 10years old and he is not passing urine apart from the odd little spot, which has blood in it.

He was at the vets yesterday and he has a enlarged prostate. He is not eating either and I don't was to have him suffering.

Would be grateful for any input.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lbcpal
    my dog is 10years old and he is not passing urine apart from the odd little spot, which has blood in it.

he was at the vets yesterday and he has a enlarged prostate. he is not eating either and i dont was to have him suffering.

would be greatful for any input.

If you are asking about not wanting to make him suffer it sounds like you are talking about euthanasia.

What does your Vet say?

Or isn't that your question?

One of my dogs had an enlarged prostate, went on medication, lived until he was 13 with no problems.
    lbcpal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Was wondering if there was anything I could do for him to help him pass urine , i.e. heat/cold packs etc.

Vet said to see if any improvement in a couple of days .
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 27, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Has your dog been neutered? Prostate is usually based solely on testosterone i.e. neutering takes care of the problem.

If he has been did the vet say what was causing it? Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories may or may not help but ask the vet.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    Has your dog been neutered? Prostate is usually based solely on testosterone ie neutering takes care of the problem.

If he has been did the vet say what was causing it? Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories may or may not help but ask the vet.

Hmm - I don't know. All of my dogs have been neutered/spayed, including the one who had prostate problems. I was never told that this is largely a problem with testosterone.

Wonder what the other factors are?

OP's dog is 10 - is it safe to neuter a dog of that age?
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 28, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Read this from VeterinaryPartner Home Page - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

There are several health benefits to neutering. One of the most important concerns the prostate gland, which under the influence of testosterone will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog’s life. In age, it is likely to become uncomfortable, possibly being large enough to interfere with defecation. The prostate under the influence of testosterone is also predisposed to infection, which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance, thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging. It is often erroneously held that neutering prevents prostate cancer but this is not true.

Other health benefits of neutering include the prevention of certain types of hernias and tumors of the testicles and anus. Excessive preputial discharge is also reduced by neutering.

Yes, IF the dog is otherwise healthy it is safe to neuter at any adult age. Remember age is NOT a disease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone trusted carbo drinks for passing a urine test for t.h.c. [ 52 Answers ]

Has anyone out there had success with them?

How long will alcohol take to leave my urine for a urine analysis? [ 19 Answers ]

Last night between 9:30 PM and 11:00 PM, I consumed about Four 80 Proof shots mixed with orange juice. Today I took urine analysis at 3:00 PM, approximately 16 hours after my last drink. I weigh 150 pounds and am about 5'11''. Do you think there will still be alcohol content?

2weeks late & passing passing clots [ 1 Answers ]

My period is weeks late and yesterday I had some bad cramping. I had some light bleeding & then I passed to large clots. I have never had any clots this size before. I am still bleeding. Is this just a late period or am I having a miscarriage ?

Passing an ETG [ 1 Answers ]

If an individual drank 10 shots four nights in a row and stopped at 11p.m. and a Tuesday night. Would they pass an ETG test given the following Tuesday?

Passing UA [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any thing I can do to clean my system in 25 days? I smoked pot everyday for the last 3 months and I've been working out and sweating a lot. I understand that only time can get out the thc but is there something I can help with process?

View more questions Search