Ask
    Rehaan_genius Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 03:51 AM
    Interesting Physics!
    Name:  Center mass.JPG
Views: 859
Size:  19.0 KB

this question is from the topic "center of mass"
    question is very simple, you just need to answer whether the right block will hit the pulley first or the left block will hit the wall first if the system is released from rest(all the surfaces are frictionless).
    It's a tricky question, no need to calculate and no need to apply any equation, just answer with a complete logic/reason.
    Let see, who can solve this!!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 04:12 AM
    It looks to me like the system will just sit at rest. Am I missing something?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 07:53 AM
    I think the question is asked wrong - it looks to me that when the right block is released it will fall and swing int the wall, whereas the left block will side toward the right and ultimately hit the pulley. Right?

I'll take a shot at it. If you think about the tension T in the rope, at every instant it has the same value at both the left and right blocks. At the right block, T can be resolved into horizontal and vertical components. Note that the horizontal component is always less than T (except for the brief instant when the angle theta is 0). So the horizontal force acting to move the right block towards the left is always less than the horizontal force acting to move the left block toward the right. Hence the left block moves horizontally faster than the right block moves horizontally. Conclusion: the left block meets the pulley before the right block meets the wall.

Here's another way to look at it: the only horizontal force applied externally to the two-mass system is from the pulley - it exerts a force upwards and to the right, at angle theta. Consequently it exerts a horizontal force to the two mass system, and so the center-of-mass of the two bock system moves to the right.
    Attached Images

Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Oh it's a rope? I assumed it were a rod! Since we are not told either way I will assume it is a rod and say the answer is "neither"!

Aug 26, 2008, 09:58 AM
    OHH!! I missed one thing! When the system is released from rest the string will remain streched all the time.

Aug 26, 2008, 10:00 AM
    And guys, the question is absolutely right!

Aug 26, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Ebaines is right! Well done! I appreciate!

Aug 26, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Yes one more mistake! Interchange Left-right in the question!(sorry guys)
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:43 PM
    I looked at it without looking at the answers and concluded the right block would hit the wall and THEN drag the other block into the pulley as the right block fell/slid downward.. Hope that's right!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interesting Encounter [ 11 Answers ]

some mormans came to my door the other day, and being polite as I am had huge trouble in snobbing them, they talked about this guy and how he was supposedly given the right to be a prophet or whatever and they were saying, it's the same faith being followed, there's no change between the values of...

Interesting IUD [ 22 Answers ]

Okay so here I am sitting at the comp trying not to get sick as my stomach is rolling... I have been doing some research on my merina IUD recently and what I've found makes me seriously worry about my birth control choice. Now my worry may be for nothing. Anyway, let me start at the beginning. I...

More interesting than God [ 36 Answers ]

Every time I get involved in the debates that erupt here between the atheists and the theists, I end up feeling bemused by the fact that so much attention is focused on the question of whether "God" exists. It's been done to death. I'm more interested in the question of whether there exists a...

Interesting ex situation [ 1 Answers ]

3 years ago I broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years, she said she wasn't happy and I was reluction to let her go. A week later I met someone else, we started dating and grew from there. 3 months passed and me and ex started talking again. She didn't date anyone one after 3 years of off and on with...

View more questions Search