Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maexx Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 09:42 PM
    18 year old wants custody of 16 year old.
    I'm an 18 year old female who is currently engaged to a guy who has a little brother who's father has abandoned him. He's 16 years old and his mother died when he was 12. He's been out on the streets for about 2 years he has no family besides his older brother. He's now living with us but we are having a few problems. He doesn't have a worker's permit and his father won't sign the papers. He also wants to go back to school but doesn't have anyone to enroll him. I was wondering if there was anyway I could get custody of him because I do for the most part take care of him, I give him money for clothes, feed him and anything he needs we get for him so techinally I'm being his guardian already. But we want to make it legal. But we're afraid because of our age the court will not agree that we are fit. Even though I'm 18 I was out on my own too since I was 16 I was emancipated I now have a good job my own house and I'm pretty settled than most people my age. Does anyone know how to do this or any information that would be helpful for me?
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Aug 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
    If he's illegal, you can't do anything =/

If he's legal... you could try~ the court will question if he wants to stay with you or not.

Aug 25, 2008, 10:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hjpan
    If he's illegal, you can't do anything =/

If he's legal.... you could try~ the court will question if he wants to stay with you or not.

What do you mean if he's illegal?

Aug 25, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maexx
    what do you mean if he's illegal?
    What do you mean workers permit? Green card? Social Security card?

That is what I'm confused if he's legal or not.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 10:54 PM

that is what I'm confused if he's legal or not.
    Certain states require worker's permits for minors to get a job.

Aug 25, 2008, 11:12 PM

that is what I'm confused if he's legal or not.
    He's legal. Hah
    Workers permit. He's 16.. in the state of northcarolina he has to have a worker's permit to work if he is under 18. Which has to be signed by a guardian. He doesn't have a social security card either but I'm pretty sure he can request that himself and doesn't need a guardian to sign for it.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Who have you been talking to about all of this? The state? His dad? Him?
    I would call social services, they may be able to do something!

NC Department of Health and Human Services Home Page: www.ncdhhs.gov
    Here is a link, you should call the number to see what you can do about getting him in school.
    It may just pay off to get him imancipated, let him stay there, he will be able to get food stamps and a little help through the state to get to school. See what they say. Good luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2008, 08:40 AM
    What his brother should do is apply to be his guardian. Guardianship is just a step below custody, but will allow the brother to act on his behalf on things like registering for school or medical care.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maexx
    he doesn't have a social security card either
    He has to have a social security card.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 08:51 AM
    I think she means he doesn't have the actual card, of course he has a number... or are you saying he NEEDS a card?

Aug 26, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    He has to have a social security card.
    When I applied for Ralphs/Food 4 Less, the interviewer asked me to bring 2 photo IDs & Social Security Card.

Got to request it in order to work~
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Social Security cards are issued at birth, and have been for over 20 years. A child needs a SS card in order for his/her parents to claim them on taxes among other reasons.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 09:05 AM
    I am sure he has a number. He may have lost the card.
    I hope you call social services, I will link it again, they can give you a few options for this case. Scott had a great idea too, his brother could be his legal guardian! Or he could go apply to get imancipated. Has he talked to his father?
    NC Department of Health and Human Services Home Page: www.ncdhhs.gov
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 11:12 AM
    You along with the your boyfriend can go to court and apply for guardianship. Your not too young. If you can provide for his and have room in your house and have been doing so and can prove it and can't see any reasons a judge can denied your. Especially once he/she hears about him living on the streets for 2 years and the father doesn't report him as missing. Shows how much he cares. I am glad your are stepping up. Call your local county asap and find out the produres.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to get custody of my 5 year-old Niece [ 4 Answers ]

I have a niece (my brother's child). She lives in Miami with her mother and my brother lives in Boston (moved there 7 months ago). I pick my niece up at least twice a month and I keep her for the weekend. Is not that my brother is unfit, he just doesn't have the brains to care for a child. He...

Custody of my 15 year old sister [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'd like to get custody of my sister who is 15 years old my mother died Thanksgiving of 2007 and I just assumed that since I was next of kin I didn't have to get custody/guardianship of her but he guidance counselor asked if I had guardianship of her since my mom is deceased and I said yes so...

Year on year off custody [ 6 Answers ]

How hard is it to get year on year off custody of a child who lives out of state? It is financially hard to see her on our time because she lives 12 hrs away. What would I have to prove in court to get this? Are we wishful thinking?

Custody 1 year on 1year off [ 5 Answers ]

Any thoughts on how that might affect a child going from year to year to different schools, he's 9 years old lives with me in Manitoba. His mom moved to ontario with her hubby (military) andIve always had him live with me now she wants to flip flop years?? I don't like it personally... For him his...

I need to sign over custody of me to a 19 year old, how would I do that? [ 2 Answers ]

My father is willing to sign over the custody over me to a 19 year old who wants to "adopt" me. I am 17 and I live in Colorado. Please help me I need to know asap. If this is possible... how would I go about this?

View more questions Search