Ask
    VulcanRaven Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2006, 11:58 AM
    PC Randomly Shuts Down...
    Components:

Thermaltake Shark Aluminium Full Tower
    Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
    Corsair 2GB DDR TwinX (2x1GB)
    XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6V300F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache
    Antec Phantom 500W Hybrid Fan Silent ATX2.0 PSU
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)
    Coolermaster Hyper48 Cooler (Socket 754/775/478/939)
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939)

Problem:

Computer loads up and after a certain duration of time the cmputer just powers off, no warning, no BSOD just completely goes off - when trying to boot the computer back up it just doesn't unless I leave it for around 15 minutes to let the power supply cool down.

The tempurature and voltages seem fine,

Geforece running at: 39c
    CPU fan at: 30c
    MB: 33c

Fan speeds;

Power supply: 5625
    CPU fan: 3308 (used to be 1500 until I used some additional wire/paperclip)
    MB chassis fan: 1288

I think the problem is the power supply but I'm not sure (I would like to hear what the other guy did to solve this). Ive rebuilt the computer system, formatted the HDD and installed a new OS (just in case I had malware/virus etc).

Thanks a lot guys, ill look forward from hearing from you.

Im new to this forum so, hey everyone.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 26, 2006, 01:56 PM
    From your description it sounds like a thermal problem, either thermal shutdown due to over heating or a badly fitting component that on expansion is losing connection.

First off I would ensure that all components are seated correctly.
    Make sure there is no dirt or dust causing a bad connection.

Now as a test I would try running it without the case sides on and see if it makes any difference. If it does then its definitely a thermal problem and you coould do with some more case fans for extraction..

Please post back with your results of these steps and we'll see what else we can suggest.

Apr 26, 2006, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    From your description it sounds like a thermal problem, either thermal shutdown due to over heating or a badly fitting component that on expansion is loosing connection.

First off I would ensure that all components are seated correctly.
    Make sure there is no dirt or dust causing a bad connection.

Now as a test I would try running it without the case sides on and see if it makes any difference. If it does then its definatly a thermal problem and you coould do with some more case fans for extraction..

Please post back with your results of these steps and we'll see what else we can suggest.
    Maybe your right, I'm thinking about a new power supply but when you mentioned thermal stuff it come to mind,

When I got this case and fully mounted the mainboard to the case tray then inserted it, the expantion slots was on a wonk so I was unable to insert the PCI-E slot graphics card I bought, but to solve this I had to put the MB on a slant and screw all of the screws in that was possible.. (but slotted in fine after that)..

Another thing was with this Heatsink and CPU fan I bought, because of my ASUS motherboard I had to attempt to use the brackets supplied but obviously they were the incorrect type so I had no other option but to force them on... seemed fine to me because the CPU was securly on.. but the CPU heatsink/fan is on abit of a slant, and touching the plastic...

Was hoping someone would have a similar problem as me, so I could solve it.. I can't think what else to do, apart from to send the powersupply back to overclockers and receive a new one...

Ill keep you updated, if I get some old brackets for the CPU heatsink. Please if anyone else can add a reply on a suggestion possible please post here..

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and help, will look forward to hearing from you again :)

Apr 26, 2006, 04:11 PM
    But again, it's weird because if I leave the system for 15 minutes, too let it cool down or whatever it boots up fine for like another 10-50mins..

Really confusing and fustrating because I've got college work to be getting on with >.<

Thanks, Liam.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 26, 2006, 10:08 PM
    Get your heatsink on there proper with the right retention plate and not too much pressure when locking it down... its very important to use the right plate.. also when you put paste did you remember to coat both the cpu and heatsink... once you slap those 2 together they must not be lifted off each other or else you have to recoat both all over again... make sure the heat from that vid card is exhausted out of case somehow... extra heat in case is no good... goood luck

Ps.. try a different power cord just for the heck of it.. may be a defective cord with high resistance

Apr 27, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    get your heatsink on there proper with the right retention plate and not too much pressure when locking it down...its very important to use the right plate..also when you put paste did you remember to coat both the cpu and heatsink...once you slap those 2 together they must not be lifted off each other or else you have to recoat both all over again...make sure the heat from that vid card is exhausted out of case somehow...extra heat in case is no good....goood luck

ps..try a different power cord just for the heck of it..may be a defective cord with high resistance
    Thanks a lot, you just made me relise about the CPU heatsink so I did some research and come across a guide on how to install the certain CPU heatsink to my ASUS mainboard, and guess what! Instead of putting the brackets on downwards properly, I put them facing upwards, so hopefully this may have fixed the problem. Unluckely I had to remove the heatsink so ill have to buy some more thermal paste again soon.. before I just put it on the silver part of my CPU and not on both heatsink+CPU, ill keep you informed.

Oh and I replaced the power cord, and I have one side of the case open already..
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2006, 07:07 AM
    I imagine it would have been because the heatsink wasn't installed properly but see what happens. What might help is a motherboard monitor that can sound an alarm when your PC gets too hot. The best one I know of can be found at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Apr 27, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    I imagine it would have been because the heatsink wasn't installed properly but see what happens. What might help is a motherboard monitor that can sound an alarm when your PC gets too hot. The best one I know of can be found at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Thanks, I've downloaded it, seems a good program to have - and the computer hasn't yet powered off, so things are looking good :D

Apr 28, 2006, 04:41 AM
    Bleh, just when I was doing good, the computer died once again :/. Can anyone else suggest anything? Please, thanks.

Apr 28, 2006, 06:42 AM
    What have you done so far so we can troubleshoot better?everything that you can think of you did no detail too small...

Apr 28, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Ran Everesy and these are the results...

Field Value
    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
    GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)
    Motherboard Name Asus A8N-E / A8N-SLI Series

Temperatures
    Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)
    CPU 26 °C (79 °F)
    GPU 35 °C (95 °F)
    Maxtor 6V300F0 21 °C (70 °F)

Cooling Fans
    CPU 3375 RPM
    Chipset 5444 RPM
    Chassis 1288 RPM

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.34 V
    +3.3 V 3.30 V
    +5 V 4.87 V
    +12 V 11.78 V
    +5 V Standby 5.00 V
    VBAT Battery 3.07 V
    Debug Info F 32 83 1F
    Debug Info T 26 28 29
    Debug Info V 54 00 CE B5 B8 B7 00 (F7)

What other type of information do you want? Because ill do the best I can to define the problem better.. let me know...

Thanks, Liam
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 28, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Did it make any difference running with the case open ?
    Have you ensured that all parts are correctly seated ? (best to remove them and reseat after blowing out the connectors with compressed air)

Apr 28, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Ive ensured all of the components are in properly and blowing them.. still seems to crash though... starting to think the PSU is faulty..

Kind of annoying because I got it from overclockers and it will take like 2 weeks to get it back to me.. thanks for your help so far, grateful, look forward to hearing from you all.

Apr 28, 2006, 10:16 PM
    I'll tell you right now that CPU temperature is TOTALLY WRONG... unless you are using watercooling that temperature is unobtainable with the numbers you are showing... download ASUS probe for your motherboard and report back asap with the results... something sounds fishy about your mobo settings and get rid of the paperclip w/additional wire fan setup... use either a larger fan or use a faster stock fan... don't rig a makeshift fan just buy a good 1 to begin with

Go into your bios when you can and tell us
    What your FSB is set at
    What the multiplier is set at
    What your CPU mhz speed is at
    But defienetly ge tthat ASUS probe downloaded and evaluate that mobo
    Good luck

Apr 29, 2006, 06:09 AM
    ASUS Probe results:

CPU temperature : 27 X/80F
    MB temperature: 28 C/ 82F
    CPU FAN: 3308
    Power fan: 5818
    Chassic Fan: 1259
    + 12V: 11.776
    + 5v: 4.865
    +3.3v: 3.296
    VCore: 1.344

Baring in mind, these results are as soon as I turn the computer on, not using it for the night, from 1am until 2pm...

Ill check BIOS now and see what I can find, but I'm not an expert as looking in BIOS for answers.

The wire I used is only there because the CPU fan+heatsink is a 4PIN connector and on the MOBO its 3 pin, so it just makes it run at top speeds (hopefully cooling the CPU even more)

Apr 29, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Some results from BIOS..

CPU speed: 2200MHz
    CPU fequency: 200.0
    PCI Express clock: 100mhz
    CPU voltage: 1.350
    Hyper transport frequency: Auto

Wasn't too sure about FSB and multiplyer as I couldn't see them in BIOS... looking forward to hearing from you..

Apr 29, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Download the asus probe because there is a record feature built into it that will keep a record of your mobo temp and cpu temps and anything else you choose it to record till you say stop... it will give you an idea of what has happened at the point of shutdown... you will see what voltage you were at what temp and other... even if it shutsdown unexpectedly it should still retain the recording and not lose it... good luck

Apr 29, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Removed the wire from the fan pin, still dies though... now recording the asus probe thing.. ill let you know of the results if I can when the computer fails again.

Apr 29, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Recorded up to a computer failure, I've got the results, ill link you up to the screenshots...

ASUS recordings:

Voltage:
    http://awbpro2.com/Liams%20folderz0r/Voltage.JPG
    Fan:
    http://awbpro2.com/Liams%20folderz0r/Fan.JPG
    Temperature:
    http://awbpro2.com/Liams%20folderz0r/Temperature.JPG

Some additional screenshots which may help:

Everest results:
    http://awbpro2.com/Liams%20folderz0r...st_Results.JPG

Probe summary:
    http://awbpro2.com/Liams%20folderz0r/Probe_summary.JPG

Apr 30, 2006, 10:51 PM
    The power supply seemed to take a dump when it stopped recording... your readings are all on the tad low end of acceptable... I can sortof see y it locks up... im betting you have a few case fans thrown in there too?me personally would get a different PSU even though you have a good 1... perhaps it is a lemon... BORROW a friends PSU that runs STABLE and see what results you get.. send in if you can.. thanks and good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC randomly shut down due to thermal problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, My PC will randonly shut down once in a while since few months ago. Recently the situation getting serious. The PC shut down not less than 5 times in 3 days. The PC just shut down without any warning and when I boots it again, the cpu will make some "siren-like" noise for few seconds....

Thermostat resets randomly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a strange problem with my thermostat. Recently I purchased a Noma programmable thermostat (Mod#52-2558-8) and installed it replacing the existing analog control. Problem is it resets randomly about 1-2 times a day. My setup is (don't laugh) an Olsen gas furnace (Mod#BAS125) which...

PC Reboot Randomly by itself [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Guys, I have a problenm with my machine. I have Asus MotherBoard with P4 1.7 CPU, 1 G DDR Ram , 64 MB All in WOnder ATI Radeon 8500 DV, Audigy Sound blaster Platinum , D Link Fax Modem , USB Hub , DLink Network Card. My Problem is that while working on Windows XP or 2000 Pro , the system will...

Condenser Shuts Off [ 1 Answers ]

Looking through the threads, I haven't found anything quite like what I'm experiencing. So if there's already a post out there on this topic, I apologize. I have a dual zone heat pump system, and both units are approximately 14 years old. On a normal summer day (70s to 80s) my air works fine. ...

Computer Randomly Shutting Off [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I work with computers and networks on a regular basis, so I have a decent idea with what I am doing, but I am no professional. The PC I'm trying to work with randomly shuts down, usually only when in use, not when idle. The machine did have a worm on it, but the hard drive was...

View more questions Search