Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda-kym Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Aug 25, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Can I get pregnant with twins again
    Hi there
    Going to keep this short as was quite complicated but until 3mths ago I was pregnant with twins. I lost both at 11 weeks. Am wondering what the chances of me conceiving twins again would be.
    Of course when we do conceive again I would be happy no matter what as long as its healthy but feel very down that I had the chance to have twins but it was took away from me.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Aug 27, 2008, 11:37 PM
    Do you know if the twins were fraternal or identical?

Aug 28, 2008, 10:44 AM
    I don't know. I didn't even know for sure that it was twins until I went into labour with the second baby
    akez Posts: 68, Reputation: 8

Aug 28, 2008, 11:35 AM
    LOL... yes it is very possible. What's the number of twins in your family currently? Didn't know you were pregnant. With twins... what? Surprise

My grandmother was a twin, my mother was a twin, my mother had twins... all faternal, boy, girl.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Aug 29, 2008, 09:17 AM
    If the twins were fraternal then you have a higher chance of having twins again, if they were identical your chances drop. There is still no known reason for identical twins. Fraternal twins if they run in your family then I would say that yes... I think your even more likely to have another set since you have already conceived one already. The genetic disposition of having twins is passed from mother to daughter/ father to daughter. Meaning that a father that passes it to his daughter got it from her grandmother... Make sense? I was on bed rest before my fifth month with my twins... lol... did alooooooot of research...
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
    There is no way to tell unless you have a particular condition which makes it more likely to ovulate more than one egg at a time.

Franternal twins are the result of more than one egg being fertilized at once (multiple ovulation). Some women are more predisposed to do so and their odds of twins go up (likely if several fraternal twins run in your family). Some women just happen to ovulate multiple eggs at once so they have a random chance of fraternal twins as well.

Identical twins are the result of a single egg splitting, so those are completely spontaneous and impossible to predict.

I'm sorry about your loss. I just went through the same thing myself and I know how hard it can be. :(

Aug 29, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo
    There is no way to tell unless you have a particular condition which makes it more likely to ovulate more than one egg at a time.

Franternal twins are the result of more than one egg being fertilized at once (multiple ovulation). Some women are more predisposed to do so and their odds of twins go up (likely if several fraternal twins run in your family). Some women just happen to ovulate multiple eggs at once so they have a random chance of fraternal twins as well.

Identical twins are the result of a single egg splitting, so those are completely spontaneous and impossible to predict.

I'm sorry about your loss. I just went thru the same thing myself and I know how hard it can be. :(

Thanks for the info. Was just reading through and my next question was how were fraternal and identical different ( obviously not when they are born, when conceived). Sorry for your loss 2.

Aug 29, 2008, 01:20 PM
    There are only one set of twins in our family and they are my cousins so was surprised to find out I was carrying them. The reason I hadn't realised for certain was just that I had expected to be bigger, sooner than I was with my daughter due to it being a second pregnancy. Had an idea it may have been but was not sure as was so early on

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you get pregnant with twins [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know any remidies to concieving twins, Thanks

What are the chances I am pregnant with twins [ 11 Answers ]

Hey guys I have a question that mabey you can help with, I am five weeks pregnant and for some reason people are saying several things to me to indiacate that they think I'm having twins, I have two children and the thought was never ever brought up with them. So my question is what are the...

Pregnant with twins from clomid [ 5 Answers ]

:rolleyes: just worndering if any of you are pregnant with twins because of clomid or know someone else who is. I'm on clomid 50mg and am worndering my possibilitie of concieving twins :) . I would love to hear your stories. Thanks for your time!!

Pregnant with twins [ 1 Answers ]

I foud out today I was 6 weeks pregnant with twins, but I am a bit concernd they could only get one heart beat on one sac but could not find one on the other, but could see a two separate sacs both with fetaus in them what's the chances of both being OK

Those pregnant with twins... [ 6 Answers ]

I have a few questions... When did you find out that you were having twins? Have any of you had an u/s and 1 baby was detected, and had another one later on and saw 2? Just curious?:D Feli 16+ weeks pregnant with #4

View more questions Search