Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foxy459459 Posts: 368, Reputation: 36

Aug 25, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Child Support
    I know that this is going to sound like a really stupid question but I have been pondering this for sometime now. Here's a little background:

My son is now 8 years old. I never took his father to court for child support until he was 6 years old. And the only reason why I did then was because I would not of been abou to get help with daycare if they did not have proof of child support on file. With that being said, I never took him before because my sons fathers family was always good to me and my son. If I ever needed anything their there to help me out. His father hardly spends time with him. He is sopposed to take him everyother weekend, and he just drops him off at his parents house. World class dad I'm telling you! Now its gotten to the point where I just found out that he is making A lot of money, and he pays now like 100.00 a week 37 of it is for child support and the rest is for daycare cause I have to pay like 120.00 per week! And when we went before they went off his gross income for the year which was 12,000. All unemployment! And now he is making really good money, and I have to pay all of the health insurance, cause his health insurance doesn't cover my sons specialest doctors.

Anyway my question is, do you think that I am doing the right thing, because his parents help me out so much. This summer they watched him for free for me so I wouldn't have to pay for summer camp. I don't know what to do cause I don't want to fight with anyone. I mean I really need the money to help with my son, and his father doesn't do ANYTHING FOR HIM! It would be one thing if he actually spent time with him but like 2 hours every two weeks isn't ANYTHING! My son is now 8 and has NEVER ONCE spent the night at his fathers. I guess I'm just really confused all I asked for was a re-eval of his income and help with heath insurance. Some input would be really nice!

Thanks sorry for it being so long... :confused: :confused: :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Your concern is your son. I would send a letter to the dad, telling him you are aware of the change in his finanical situation. Adn that you expect him to step up and contribute more to his son's upkeep. If he doesn't you will be forced to go back to court for a modification of the support order.

Aug 25, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Your concern is your son. I would send a letter to the dad, telling him you are aware of the change in his finanical situation. Adn that you expect him to step up and contribute more to his son's upkeep. If he doesn't you will be forced to go back to court for a modification of the support order.

I tried that, My insurance went up back in December of 2006 and he told me that he was not helping me and that our sonw as covered under his health insurance and to deal with it. I explained to him that His UNION Benefits do not cover our sons cardiologest and his ears nose and throat doctor and he told me to find a cheaper doctor! And when I ask him to help with things like baseball, and half of other stuff he tells me no, that's what he pays support for! Not caring that what he pays for actual support doesn't cover CRAP! So then his parents step up in his place and help me. Im just sick of feeling like I had a baby with them you know?

Aug 26, 2008, 06:21 AM
    If anyone could give me some insite that would be great!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy459459
    If anyone could give me some insite that would be great!

Only you know if it's worth taking the father to Court and possibly estranging his parents, your child's grandparents.

As far as they are "good" to you and your son - your son is their Grandchild and they should be good to him. I would assume they enjoy having him around - after all, they're the Grandparents.

It should not be a situation of either/or - either the Grandparents are involved OR the father contributes to the support. It should be both but, of course, welcome to the real world.

It is the responsibility of a father to support his son.

But only you know if the possible problems caused by going to Court make the support worthwhile.

Aug 27, 2008, 06:11 AM
    I just know they are all going to flip out on me like I'm the bad guy just because I want and need some help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy459459
    I just know they are all going to flip out on me like im the bad guy just becuase i want and need some help.

And only you know if it's worth it or not. The law says you're entitled. Question is - in the long run what is best for your child?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search