Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rennit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Bad tasting water
    I recently replaced the filter on my Whirlpool side by side refrigerator model #ed25lfxhb02 but the water and ice both taste and smell bad even after dumping out 1 gal of water from the dispenser.Will replacing the reservoir solve this problem or can anyone fix this problem for good?
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 25, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Are you on well, or municipal water?

I know you say that you want it fixed for good. The best way to do that is to either replace your fridge filter more frequently, or to use a better quality filter that you can attach to your fridge. Then, bypass that little ineffective fridge filter.

It is likely that you have bacteria growth in your lines and reservoir. Depending on the model of your filter, you may be able to run some chlorine through the reservoir and lines. This will kill the bacteria. I tried to find your particular model #, but was unable to tell about the filter. If yours is the type that you can take out the cartridge, and still use the water on the door. Then you can definitely run some chlorine through the lines.

Try taking out the filter, and running some water through the unit. If it still runs, then, you can add a cub of bleach into the housing. Lift the icemaker lever so that the icemaker doesn't make ice during this process.

Let the water on the door run until you smell the bleach coming through your dispenser. Then let it set for 30 minutes. Then, flush the lines until you smell no more chlorine in the lines. Then, put your filter back in. You should be okay then. Although it may take a day or 2 to get all of the bleach smell out.

One other thing to check is if you have the right cartridge. Please tell me what brand, and model # of filter that you have, and whether you are on municipal water or well. Then, I can help you better.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul tasting water from refrigerator water dispenser [ 2 Answers ]

I have a GE Profile side by side refrigerator roughly 3yrs old. A couple of weeks ago it started getting warm. We cleaned the coils in the back and it started to cool back down, however, a foul smell started that day. Now the water and ice from the dispenser taste bad and the smell is still...

Foul tasting water after new plumbing installed [ 5 Answers ]

I remodeled my kitchen a few months ago. Since I was going to have the water off in the kitchen for sometime, and I didn't have shut off valves at my kitchen sink, my son installed one for the hot water and one for the cold. After the water was turned back on, the water tastes foul. I had...

Bad tasting water from refrigerator [ 3 Answers ]

I have a one year old GE profile side by side refrigeratotor. Recently the water from the dispenser started to taste bad (like dirt). At first I thought it might be a bad filter so I changed it - no improvement. I then removed the filter (bypassed it) but the water tasted the same. Water from...

Kenmore Coldspote dispenses foul tasting water [ 1 Answers ]

The water from my Kenmore Coldspot side-by-side refrigerator tastes and smells like mildew. I used a pipe cleaner to clean the spout (which was pretty nasty) but it didn't help. After the water runs for a bit, the water is fine. But the next day, the water tastes and smells like mildew again. ...

Bad tasting water [ 1 Answers ]

We were having a problem getting hot water because we have a long run from the hot water heater to the kitchen and bathroom. The plumber recommended and installed a recirculating device near the hot water heater. Now the cold water from the taps tastes bad... a very strong taste of plastic.

View more questions Search