Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arunavcd Posts: 89, Reputation: 3

Apr 26, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Minority Protection in Company Law
    Hi,

Can anyone give me some useful sites where I can find the topic MINORITY PROTECTION under Company Law?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2006, 04:40 PM
    I guess one has to ask, what country are you in, Austria, United Kingdon, France>

Next what minority, racial, religious and so on.

Next company "law" is normally only company policy and each company will have its own policy. Often in the US, there are Federal and state laws about discrimination, which offers protection in most US companies.

Apr 26, 2006, 09:35 PM
    Please, If you don't know, Don't Answer...

You have done it twice...

Thanks
    Expert

Apr 27, 2006, 06:01 AM
    If you refuse to give enough information to allow a person to answer, then it is merely your fault. I have a background in minority rights and the civil rights movement but your question can not be answered as asked, not with a valid or good answer as to its background.

You are asking poor questions. If this is some homework question, you still have to give some background.

Ok, basically let is say this is in Iran. There is no law to protect any minority within the company struture.

Ok there is your answer for that nation.

Apr 27, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Thanks a lot for your reply...

Well... I am not talking about any particular country.

I am talking about the Topic MINORITY PROTECTION IN A COMPANY.

I mean the country where MINORITY PROTECTION exists.

It should be UK based even though I am in Malaysia.

What is Minority Protection? What are the remedies which go against the case of FOSS VS HARBOTTLE? What are the alternative remedies?

These are the basic questions that would be in the topic. I think You get My Point.

Thanks in anticipation...
    Expert

Apr 27, 2006, 11:46 AM
    A better question would have been with respect to UK law what are minority shareholders rights to protection within a company. The term "minority" refers to different things to different people, in my world any use of the word minority would refer to a racial, sexual or religious reference.

With that aspect there are 100's of pages on Foss Vs Harbottle on the net.

Exceptions to the rule have developed where minorities can bring a 'derivative action' (a term originated in the United States) on behalf of themselves and all the other shareholders (except the wrongdoer) against the wrongdoers, joining also the company as a defendant. One of such exceptions is where there is allegedly fraud on the minority and the wrongdoers are in control of the company (Burland v Earle [1902] AC 83 at p 93).

Prudential Assurance Co Ltd v Newman Industries Ltd (No 2) relied on by the plaintiffs was a derivative action. It appears clear from that case that before such an action is allowed to proceed, the defendants are entitled to ask for determination as a preliminary issue whether the plaintiffs have established a prima facie case:
    xiang1409 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2006, 02:25 AM
    Maybe you can try tis website... http://www.univie.ac.at/bwl/ieu/lehr...protection.pdf
    Hop can help u...
    Anyway did you heard before thePark v daily news case law...
    Because I need it...

Hope can get the answer as soon as possible...
    Because I oso doing minority protection assignment...
    Mayb v both can discuss...
    And I from malaysia too...
    The case law that I mention is under the exception of foss v harbottle wan...
    So hop you can help me to unstd the case law...
    Anyway thx~~
    Hop can get the answer as soon as possible~~~

May 7, 2006, 08:17 AM
    May I know which college are you studying in?

May 8, 2006, 01:59 AM
    I from S.I.T international technology college...
    So how about u...
    Did that website help you ah??

May 21, 2006, 05:25 AM
    The website helped me, thanks...

Anyway, I am from the same college...

May 21, 2006, 08:02 PM
    Same college??
    Really ah??
    OMG~~~
    Hehe...
    Den by the way who are you ah??
    U oso having same company law class izit??
    Haha~~:rolleyes:
    hsahthegreat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 11:49 PM
    Minority protection case foss vs hartbottle
    dyla_lala88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 08:47 PM
    May I ask u about right and protection of minority shareholders application in malaysia.
    Whre can get this answer.. could u help me..
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 10:01 PM

As an American lawyer, I will readilly admit knowing nothing about Maylasian company law (or, as we would call it, "corporation law"). But for minority protection, I suggest you first look at the "company" statute in that country, probably available online.
    tounoni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 03:35 PM
    Exceptions to the Rule in Foss v Harbottle

1. a. Where the company does an illegal or ultra vires act.

General rule is that if a wrong is done to a company only the company being a legal person can sue. (Foss v Harbottle)
    To this general rule there are exceptions
    A member can seek an order of injunction or a declaration to restrain the company from performing an illegal or ultra vires act, so in this case, the will of the majority cannot prevent the member from maintaining an action.The plaintiff will be the company (derivative action by the minority shareholder)
    This exception allows the member to declare the act void after it has been performed. In Parke v. Daily News [1961] 1W.L.R. 493, the controlling shareholders wished to distribute the whole of the purchase price to be realized from the sale of the company's business among the employees who would become redundant. A minority shareholder obtained a declaration that such an ultra vires gift cannot be made from the company's assets. Note however that this exception has been modified in many countries to the effect that such a distribution may not be declared illegal as the directors of a company are to consider the interests of employees in their decisions and the majority may also alter the company's articles to legitimise this type of distribution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minority protection [ 1 Answers ]

For a minority shareholder who has suffered a wrong at the hands of the majority to establish a case under the alternative remedy he must show both that he suffered “unfairly prejudicial conduct” and that this was suffered in his capacity as a member of the company. Can anybody help me to...

Write protection [ 3 Answers ]

What does write protection mean on a cd-rw? I'm trying to burn and it says it is write-protected.

Protection [ 4 Answers ]

Can I protect folders?

Best protection for SPY? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I recently got a spy virus on our new computer. We were somehow able to "back-date" the computer, so it made it like it was when we first bought it, and now no more pop-up's... which is good. But sometimes we will try to go to a website and an error message will come up saying we...

View more questions Search