Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Aug 27, 2008, 12:42 AM
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, CDW seem to have very good prices however I do live in the UK which may increase these sligtly. My house is quite big and I need the signal to get around. I need the router to have a 4 port switch as I already stated. This is so I can connect my computer and xbox to it by wired connection and my laptop by wired. What would you guys suggest? I was looking at this, what do you think?

CDW Product Overview: D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router

This is wireless N and doesn't wireless N have a better range?

Also do you guys know any cheap UK sites? Thanks for all your help I know I go on but I want to get the right one :P
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2008, 06:02 AM
    The 802.11n specification is the latest and greatest. It provides the most speed and range of any router.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 06:11 AM
    But make sure that your laptop have a wireless device that does the "N" spec or it will default back to "G". Shouldn't be a problem for internet access and your range will still be greater because the router has probably more power but you paid more for it than a "G" spec router.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Aug 27, 2008, 08:16 AM
    To maximize the signal reach within your house, the wireless router needs to be centrally located, and placed up high rather than buried under a desk. This is another reason you may wish to elect to daisy-chain your new wireless router to your existing router as it gives you more flexibility in placement because you only need to run one cable to the wireless router.

The signal reach through your house walls will also be affected by the materials in the walls. If your house has metal in the walls (metal studs, etc.) the signal will not reach as far.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 27, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdill
    To maximize the signal reach within your house, the wireless router needs to be centrally located, and placed up high rather than buried under a desk. This is another reason you may wish to elect to daisy-chain your new wireless router to your existing router as it gives you more flexibility in placement because you only need to run one cable to the wireless router.

The signal reach thru your house walls will also be affected by the materials in the walls. If your house has metal in the walls (metal studs, etc.) the signal will not reach as far.
    Depending on where you are in the UK and the age of the structure, those guys use granite over there. Stick-built homes are not as common like they are on this side of the pond. But a "big" house in the UK is not as large as a "big" house over here. Square footage is much more expensive over there... and we think California home and fuel prices are high (but that is another subject).

I can ask my IT colleagues at our office in Aberdeen where they buy their kit from if you like.
    orkhydd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 07:46 AM
    Thank you thank you thank you!! Oh my dear lord! I consider myself a savvy internet researcher and yet just spent most of the morning trying to obtain the simplest information on this topic: "standalone wireless access point". All I needed was that term to figure out the answers to all my own questions and it not a single search or forum contained it. I understand why it may be the case, but no one distinguishes between wireless router and WAP (anymore?) and for precisely the reasons already mentioned in this lengthy conversation... namely that any computer store will sell you a router and not a standalone wireless access point. However! To have this information be so fraking difficult to come by is almost insulting not to mention extremely frustrating. You folks posting here not only answered my question exactly but the original poster followed through as I would have and now I know more than I what I gained from all my other research combined (except I now know a LOT about network problems far more complicated than mine). So, thank you so much this is officially my favorite tech forum. Yay for simplicity and trying to educate a generation of critical thinkers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Set up a LAN between wireless and wired [ 2 Answers ]

I have my laptop wirelessly connected to a USR9108 which is wired to my desktop computer, now here is my question how do I set up a Local Area Network (LAN) between them? ps: remember, the laptop is connected wirelessly to the same modem which is connected to the desktop. Thank you, doulzster

Wired or Wireless? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently looking into a home security system and have had Adt, Brinks and Protection one out to my house. The question I have is should I go with wired or wireless? And which company? Any help you can give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated..

Wired router configuration [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a PC running XP Pro and I am using a Network Everywhere Cable/DSL 4 port router (NR041). It is configured and I have only one problem. I use a bittorrent client, which to make a long story short, allows me to download and upload files (music, movies, etc.) If my router is not configured...

View more questions Search