Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanity4sale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Prorating rent at beginning of lease
    I am aware that a landlord can refuse to prorate rent once someone has signed a contract to pay through a certain time, but can a landlord refuse to prorate at the beginning of a lease? I am moving into an apartment on September 10th, and the receptionist said something about prorating only beginning 2 weeks into the month. According to the law, will I have to pay for those first ten days, or can I negotiate my lease so that I begin paying on the day I move in?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Well, you can certainly ask for and attempt to negotiate anything you want. If they'll agree to it or not is another matter.

You can check your state's landlord / tenant laws in a sticky at the top of this forum. It may be addressed in the law how the proration has to be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Prorating rent [ 4 Answers ]

My lease is up for my apartment on August 12, but I have to pay a full months rent and I'm only going to be there for 12 days. And the landlord refuses to prorate the rent. But if I renew my lease then I can stay there without paying twice. But I plan to move out by the 12th, is it legal for the...

Is lease different from rent [ 3 Answers ]

Contact your local legal aid office. You can get the info from your county courthouse if need be. When is the temp. order set to expire? Did you not have an attorney when the child was placed elsewhere? If not, get one and file to vacate the temporary order.

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Prorating a month to month lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord in New Jersey, I rented my apartment for a year then it turned into a month to month lease, the tenant told me about three months ago that he would initially be leaving in June but since he was looking to buy a house and it took longer than expected it turns out he will be...

View more questions Search