Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cupcake4323 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 07:46 AM
    19 year old with real issues
    I have a nineteen year old daughter who I suspect is bipolar but she will not get any help she says everyone else has problems not her, my concern comes in that she has a one year old daughter and really does not care for her properly, I would put her out and make her stand on her own but I am afraid she will not take proper care of my grandaughter, what can I do about getting her help?
    amermonstarsgir Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Talk to a doctor about all this, our doctor was trying to find out what was the matter with my fiancé and started asking me if I thought he was bipolar. He has mood swings and seemed like he could almost be bipolar but they were not for sure. She gave him something that she said would treat bipolar if that was what he had and if it didn't do anything to him then he wasn't bipolar. He turned out to not be bipolar and just had bad nerve problems. Your daughter may have similar problems its not uncommon now a days. Your daughter needs to get some help regardless if she is bipolar or something else.
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Aug 25, 2008, 06:09 PM
    It will be hard to get her to agree she's bi-polar. It may be impossible. Bi-polar has such a huge negative connotation that nobody would willingly associate without very good reason.

Focus on getting her to agree on something smaller than bi-polar. Will she agree to see someone to talk about your problems as a family? Since she is an adult whatever happens will need her consent (unless she is a threat to herself or someone else).

Instead of trying to get her to shoulder all the blame (even if it is all hers) look for a compromise that will open the door to some form of therapy or counseling.
    homesick4va Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 11:54 AM
    A lot of times when the child has problems, the parents are at fault. I know parents do the best they can, but sometimes they either do too much or not enough for their child, which causes problems. Therefore, the child benefits when the parent goes to therapy/counseling.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 01:05 PM
    If she is not taking care of her child, get children and family services invovled. And see if you can get temp custody of the child till she gets the help she needs
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Aug 27, 2008, 12:36 PM
    I have to ask where the child's father is? You may need to prepare yourself for the fact that if you start trying to take your grandchild from your daughter you may end up with the father getting custody.
    I don't want to add to your worries but this could come up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 Year Old Boy Sleeps with mother as well as other issues. [ 26 Answers ]

My mother allows my 10 year old brother sleep with her. Not just every now and then, this is all the time. He has his own room, his own bed, and things within his own room for entertainment before bedtime. Recently, my parents purchased a new and bigger bed for him figuring that this would get my...

Real Estate law in regard to Tenant issues in New York City(Bronx) [ 1 Answers ]

I live with the mother of my 4 children, The oldest is 18 yrs.then 17 and 13 and 14. The 2 youngest are on Social Security (SSI).The mother's name has never been on the lease or any utilites .the 4 children have the mother's last name , Because my last name was never on the birth certificets. I...

My 7 year old denied social security on both issues [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Missouri. I have a 7 year old son whose father was killed 6 years ago- social security denied benefits for my son because his father (who died when he was 21) didn't have enough work credits. My son won a wrongful death suit and has $17,000 in the bank that cannot be used until he turns...

Part year/non resident issues [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is a resident of Illinois but as of October of last year, he has been working in Iowa, so does this make him a part year resident of Illinois or is he still a full year resident and a non-resident of Iowa? I know this may sound stupid but he IS and always has been a resident of Illinois...

Real estate licensing issues [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone I have a question regarding a realestate licencing. I have recently become involved in an area of realestate where I buy and sell homes using none of my own money. My problem is that I am not a licenced agent or broker. My lawyer says that I need a licence to do these types of...

View more questions Search