Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catgirlalex1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 12:36 AM
    Aspiring Professional Photographer
    Hi
    I'm an aspiring pro photographer looking to take photos of wildlife and nature. I've been wanting to get a job with National Geographic Magazine ever since I can remember. I have many achievements behind me. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I would need to do and how much I would need to do in order to be recognized bye a good photographic school and, eventually, National Geographic. I would also like to know what brand and type of digital SLR camera would work best for me including what lenses. I can't go travel to many places so I don't have many astounding places and things to photograph at the moment.

Aug 25, 2008, 12:40 AM
    One other question, how would I go about assembling a portfolio?
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Aug 25, 2008, 08:07 AM
    The first thing is to recognize is that beautiful photos can be made right where you are - you don't need to travel to take noteworthy photos. You also don't need a special type of camera, or lens. Today's point-n-shoot cameras often have most of the features found in the DSLRs - including the ability to shoot in AV, TV, Manual modes, and to save your files in RAW. Until you have exhausted all the options available in a point-n-shoot camera, and have learned how to take amazing photos of things near you, it would be a waste of money to buy a DSLR or to spend money to travel to get nature and wildlife photos. If you don't yet have a point-n-shoot camera, get one of the Canon models that lets you load a hacked firmware that opens up more features.

You can even get amazing photos with a camera-phone. See:

Capture Winning Street Scenes with a Camera Phone - - PopPhotoJuly 2007

For wildlife, take practice photos at the zoo. Learn to take photos of birds and join birdwatching groups - they will know where your local bird watching (and photographing) opportunities are. For landscapes, take cityscapes.

Schmootography Photography- powered by SmugMug

[daily dose of imagery]

A portfolio is simply a collection of your best work. You can print and mat them, put them in a protective plastic bag, and use a portfolio case to hand-carry the images to a prospective employer. Or you can upload them to a website. Many pro photographers use sites like Smugmug (use this referral code to save $5 Rj4IWoed1h9YM ) and Flickr to display their portfolios online.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2008, 08:10 AM
    As jc said a portfolio is simply a copy of your best photos. I would get a either a flash drive or maybe a Multimedia player like a iPOd or Zune and carry it with you always. Store your best photos so you can display them at any time.

Make a CD of your best work and send it to National Geographic with a copy of your resume.

Aug 25, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Thank you both very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Baby photographer [ 5 Answers ]

The Smiths were unable to conceive children and decided to use a surrogate father to start their family. On the day the proxy father was to arrive, Mr. Smith kissed his wife goodbye and said, "Well, I'm off now. The man should be here soon." ...

Wedding photographer [ 5 Answers ]

I hired my wedding photographer 1 year before my wedding (last August). He was paid in full 2 weeks prior to my wedding (approx. $4,000). My wedding was August 5, 2006. I have spoken to my photographer twice since then!!!! I have sent him numerous e-mails and placed numerous phone calls to which...

Looking for a photographer [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. I'm looking for a photographer. I live in the LA County and I'm interested in hiring a younger person even someone just starting, to take some couple portraits of me and my boyfriend. No nudity or anything weird will be involved, I just think a younger person would be more open to what we...

Sceptical about photographer. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Well basically this question really needs a bit of background information. Here goes. I am currently a part time non professional model for a local modelling agency, I have got quite an impressive range of professional photographs done for my portfolio, including head shots, fashion...

View more questions Search