Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hybridtek Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Living alone sucks
    I am 20 years and out of college. I moved out of my parents house during college and lived my bro and loved it. Now I am living in a different town and living by myself. I know pretty much no one here and I hate it. I think it sucks coming home in the evenings to no body at all. I have a lot of time to myself now but find myself depressed that I am not around my family or friends, and am so far away from them during the week. I love coming home and having SOMEONE to talk to, just an empty apartment now though. I really miss all of my friends and family from back home and can't stand it sometimes up here, I don't know if it would be best to try and find a roommate or what. Any ideas?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 09:23 PM
    I LOVE living alone, and this is why. I get my peace and quiet. I can do private things wherever in my apartment that I want to, I can walk around naked if I want.

I know being far from friends and family is difficult, I live 300 miles from mine. Visits are fun. Do you work? Go to school?

Get a pet! It's fantastic to come home and see how excited my dog is that mommy is home. She runs around and sits on my lap as soon as I sit. It's a great feeling! Someone looks forward to you coming home, and they are great to tell secrets to! Trust me, my chihuahua knows things about me that no one else does.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 09:29 PM
    I have to agree with chihuahuamomma... I love living alone. Hectic all day... and I come home... and it's peace and quiet.

I agree, getting a pet may help, but if you don't have the time/energy to devote it to the pet, then I don't recommend it.

Have you tried volunteering? Joining a book club of some sort? Maybe even going out on your own to meet people?

Aug 25, 2008, 07:39 PM
    The apartment complex I live at only allows cats, but it costs a lot more here to own one with the deposit and extra money per month, not worth it, or I would get a dog if I could. I work here now and I think its hard meeting people on my own. It's usually nice to have some connections or something, or go around with someone else and meet people. Still talking to others when I do here doesn't feel the same as being with friends that are close. I need to get involved somehow.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Hamsters?

Volunteer buddy. Perhaps you can start going out with your work friends? If not, really, try to go out on your own. It's a bit scary the first time, but you get used to the fear of rejection.

Aug 25, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Everyone I work with is at least 10 years if not 20 years older then me. Kind of hard to make a good friendship with people I work with. I mean not really going to want to hang out with each other at least lol. But I really don't know where to go around here to meet some peeps.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
    The thing is, the lab I used to work at had mostly 40 year olds... while I was in my 20s. I went out for drinks with them every now and then, and later got to know their cousins and nieces... worked out well.

Are there any bars in your area? A college perhaps? A library? Homeless shelter? Pet shelter?

Aug 25, 2008, 07:55 PM
    I'm only 20 so I can't go to the bars. I tried to go with a guy from work once and they kicked me out. There is a small community college I think, but I don't know where everyone is at lol. I wish there were like under 21 clubs or something like I have heard about in larger towns. I may try to join a fitness gym or something if its not to expensive here.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 08:01 PM
    There you go. A gym is a decent place to meet a buddy, at least to spot you or something.

Obviously, if you're underage... the clubs and bars are out of the question.

I really think that volunteering at a local pet shelter, homeless shelter, library, or even joining a book club will do wonders.

Aug 25, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Volunteering at one of those places does sound like it would be a place to meet "good" people, but I've never done any of that lol. IDk what that would be like or anything, I could go to the library and ask I suppose.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Yeah. Volunteering at a local pet shelter's actually pretty fun. You usually get to play with the dogs, clean up after them, and just hang out with the people there. GREAT place to meet girls, by the way.

Aug 25, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Lol I'll try to find one and see if they take volunteers. Thanks for the advice and staying online by the way
    Vision Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
    VOlunteering rocks your socks. I volunteered all throughout middle school and high scchool with the local Humane Society. And volunteered for the second chance shelter here for a while. I love it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 08:29 PM
    See? You can pick up good looking middle schoolers and high schoolers.

... err... stay away from the middle schoolers.
    Vision Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
    In fact, stay away the high schoolers too... Geez, ISF.

But to meet someone volunteering is great. I still have friends that I met volunteering. And it's 5 years late.r
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 08:34 PM
    ... what? He's 20! A senior in high school's fair game... for him.
    Vision Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Even a 16 or 17 year old senior?

Aug 25, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Woot middle schoolers lol, jk. I'll try to find something to volunteer for, and get a little more involved. IDK a senior I would think would be OK 17+, but would be a lot beter to find someone my age at least.
    Vision Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 08:39 PM
    There are some really fun places to volunteer at. Is there a YMCA close? You could volunteer there.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Ah... well... if a 18 year old is OK for me... :)

Just kidding, not a HUGE fan of high schoolers. I'm trying to fiend off my 15 year old brother's friend. It's been... a hassle. Those kids are really persistent. :(

hybridtek, volunteering not only helps you meet people, it also gives you something to do to pass the time, and also, playing with those dogs will give you a feeling of self satisfaction. Library, pet shelters, homeless shelters, and even hospitals are good places.

Good luck bud, let us know how you're doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life sucks [ 18 Answers ]

Well I know now that the only option I have is to just kill myself... I don't give a shiot about anyone or anything any more... heres how,, I'm going to jump off an fing building and cut my throat at the same time... I give myself a week... life fing sucks get out as soon as possible.

Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear, Placement of Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? Thanks & Regards

Love sucks [ 9 Answers ]

When me and my boyfriend met he did a lot for me. He was so sweet for few years. As 5 years pass by he became treating me like ****. I tried hard to make the relationship work but he didn't care. He always said that no matter what I'm going to be with him. We fought a lot, most of the time because...

This really sucks [ 6 Answers ]

Dealing well

H&R Sucks [ 15 Answers ]

Dear AtlantaTaxExpert, I really appreciate your help on this forum. Here is my situation Aug’ 02 - Oct’ 04 F1 Oct’ 04 – Oct’ 05 F1 OPT Oct’ 05 – Present H1B

View more questions Search