Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2lostndazed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Unborn child confusion
    Ok Here is my situation. I found out my husband has been fooling around and telling everyone, with the exception of me, that he wants a divorce. I wasn't going to take the news sitting down so I gathered evidence against him, concerning the fooling around, and went to a lawyer. I wanted so much to not have a contested divorce so I have not confronted him and I am not charging him with adultery. I have filed for separation and am waiting to get my papers drawn up so I can present them to him. Here is where it gets confusing. I recently found out I am pregnant. The child is obviously his since I have been faithful. I am approximately 5 weeks along. I need to know 1. Does this entitle the child to support from the father, financial I mean. 2. Is there any way he can take the child from me. And 3. Does this even count as a divorce with children in the eyes of the law?

Also I am in VA if that helps any
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 07:06 PM
    1) Yes, this entitles you to child support if he is the father.

2) He will not be able to take the child away from you initially unless you are proven unfit.

3) Divorce is divorce, with or without children.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Divorcd is divorce if you are married, and not sure what or why you are being so "nice" you get him served the divorce papers, demand what you want, and he either signs it, or you fight,

Once the child is born, you file for custody, and child support. Mothers of infants will get custody unless they are proven unfit, he may get visistation.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2lostndazed
    Ok Here is my situation. I found out my husband has been fooling around and telling everyone, with the exception of me, that he wants a divorce. I wasn't going to take the news sitting down so I gathered evidence against him, concerning the fooling around, and went to a lawyer. I wanted so much to not have a contested divorce so I have not confronted him and I am not charging him with adultery. I have filed for separation and am waiting to get my papers drawn up so I can present them to him. Here is where it gets confusing. I recently found out I am pregnant. The child is obviously his since I have been faithful. I am approximately 5 weeks along. I need to know 1. Does this entitle the child to support from the father, financial I mean. 2. Is there any way he can take the child from me. and 3. Does this even count as a divorce with children in the eyes of the law?

Also I am in VA if that helps any
    1) the answer is no. It is up to both parents to support the child in an equal and fair fashion. Does that mean he might have to pay child support.. yes but that's also going to depend on the custody arrangement.
    2) yes there are ways but for the most part if your not doing bad things then its not a likely situation.
    3) currently there are no children. Quite frankly you don't know if your pregnant or not. Many things can trigger a false positive and your very early on. ( not saying you aren't in any way Im just stating that its possible.)

This site might help in your research.

Virginia Divorce Law

Good luck
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 08:19 PM
    I completely agree with the other posters that yes the father would have to pay support to help you raise your child but as calif pointed out you have to do your part too (not that you wouldn't but I have run into that too many times not to address it). While I'm not sure if VA does the same I know in Indiana and a few other states that I know for sure, the judge will not grant the divorce until after the child is born (if of course they know that you are pregnant which at this point they wouldn't unless someone tells the judge).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unborn child [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old male with a 22 girlfriend that is pegnent and I want to keep the baby and she does not what are my rights Thank you

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

Child custody of an unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My question is concerning my sister, she moved to this state I live in now, only a year ago,to live with me, she got pregnant by some guy she was seeing, when he started beating her up she left him,(she was only 2 months pregnant at this time) now she's 7 months pregnant and we are moving back...

Unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I am 22 and married. I live in az with my husband. I am 4 months pregnant. Some things have come up in my marriage that aren't good. I want to know. Is I leavehim and go back home to North Carolina can he get me for kid napping? Or do I need to get his permision to leave the state? Someone...

View more questions Search