Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahiinc Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Doorbell troubleshooting
    I just replaced a working push-button switch at the front of my home (there is a working rear switch as well). It was very old and unreliable. The new switch was a lighted switch. When first wired the light glows. When the button is depressed the light dims and the bell rings. The problem is that the light stays out for 10 seconds, lights briefly and the bell rings again. This continues in that same manner till I remove one of the wires. When the wire is reconnected the light glows like expected till the button is depressed again.

I assumed it was a defective switch and replaced it again (with a new one of the same model). The new switch operated improperly in the same manner. I pulled the switch out of the wall to free up the wires in case they were shorting inside the wall. Nothing changed.

A doorbell switch is a very simple concept and what is happening I can't explain. I threw away the old switch or I would just have reinstalled it.

HELP

Steve in CLE
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 24, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Hello Steve !

Please do a small test :

1 - disconnect the wires to the switch.

2 - wait 30 seconds.

3 - short the two wires for one second and release again.

4 - check if the bell goes once, and does not ring again.

Please also describe the type of bell you have : just a real mechanical bell, or an electronic bell system ?

If it is the electronic type, the problem you experience is caused by the resistance of the light in the pushbutton. That resistance causes the electronic system to stay in some type of "active" mode.

If that is the case you have three options :
    Either replace the pusbutton with a type without a build-in light,
    Or modify the existing new button to disconnect the light bulb from the switch (or just remove it),
    Or replace the electronic bell system with a mechanical bell.

Please post the details here in this post, than contact me by private mail (click on my name and follow instructions), and I will return here to advice further.

Success !

:)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Given that you had problems before replacing the button, I believe you have a problem at the chime. Either a back circuit through the rear door system or something mechanical in the chime its self is causing a connection to the transformer after each ring. Disconnect the rear door button and see what happens. If that doesn't provide any change, remove the cover of the chime and watch what happens when the chime rings. Look for something like "as the solenoid moves to strike the tone bar it causes a loose wire to make contact".
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2008, 07:58 PM
    I'll bet it's an electronic chime. I also don't know if it's an LED lamp or an incadesent lamp. You may have to place a resistor at the bell. Not sure what size. If it was LED based I'd try a resistor less than R <= 16/0.050. Incadesent I'd probably try R <=16/0.100. Power should be greater than V^2/R or (16^2)/R.

I modified a doorbell and added a surface mount LED and resistor. It was very long ago, because I got tired of replacing the switch. It's not illuminated uniformly, but it is illuminated and green. There are higher brightness LED's now.
    ahiinc Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2008, 05:40 AM
    [QUOTE=Credendovidis]Hello Steve !

Please do a small test :

1 - disconnect the wires to the switch.

2 - wait 30 seconds.

3 - short the two wires for one second and release again.

4 - check if the bell goes once, and does not ring again.

Please also describe the type of bell you have : just a real mechanical bell, or an electronic bell system ?

If it is the electronic type, the problem you experience is caused by the resistance of the light in the pushbutton. That resistance causes the electronic system to stay in some type of "active" mode.

If that is the case you have three options :
    Either replace the pusbutton with a type without a build-in light,
    Or modify the existing new button to disconnect the light bulb from the switch (or just remove it),
    Or replace the electronic bell system with a mechanical bell.

Please post the details here in this post, than contact me by private mail (click on my name and follow instructions), and I will return here to advice further.

Success !

I believe it is a mechanical chime (it is more than 40 years old). I need to take a closer look. I assumed because it was a mechanical chime that there was no need for a resister. I did not figure the light would have an effect. I assumed the push button is just a switch and he ampacity of the bulb would not be a factor. I will follow your advise and let you know what I find.
    Thanks
    Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot doorbell transformer [ 9 Answers ]

My doorbell stopped working. I tried replacing the transformer, but noticed it got very hot when I connected the wires that go to the chime. I even bought a second transformer and it is also getting very hot. The wires at the chime and to the door bell ringer are disconnected and hangling...

The White Stripes-My Doorbell [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know what the song "My Doorbell" by the White Stripes is about? "I've been thinkin' about my doorbell...when you gonna ring it, when you gonna ring it?"

Doorbell getting hot [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just installed a new doorbell since the one that was there was somewhat on the dated side. They both are lighted doorbells, but this one is getting hot to touch. I didn't notice the old one ever doing that. Is that safe or is there a problem with it?

Wiring a second doorbell [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to wire a second doorbell. I read in your column that you should wire the two doorbells together. However, I cannot snake a wire to my first doorbell. The second doorbell is located at the button that was once on the outside of the house. Can I wire my second doorbell into the...

Wiring my doorbell [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I own a split level home with a doorbell upstairs. The problem is that we can't hear it if we're in a room downstairs. I bought a second doorbell and picked a location downstairs, but I'm not sure how to wire it in to the first doorbell, since there is a floor/ceiling beam in the...

View more questions Search