Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaveW43512 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 09:48 AM
    How do I obtain the Abstract of Title?
    When my mother paid off her mortgage, she received the Abstract of Title, which showed possession of the land from the early 1800's. I recently purchased an older historic home, and paid cash, so there is no mortgage. Who has possession of the absract of title, and how do I obtain it? I live in Ohio.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 09:55 AM
    You have to contact a title insurance company and order a title search. You should have done this before you bought the property, because that's how you find out if there are any liens on the property and if the title is clear.

Order a title search immediately and purchase the title insurance policy after the search is done.

Aug 24, 2008, 10:02 AM
    I did purchase the property through a realtor, and the transaction was handled through a title agency. A title search was done.
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW43512
    I did purchase the property through a realtor, and the transaction was handled through a title agency. A title search was done.
    Okay, good. :) The title search is the abstract of title. Call the title agency and ask for a copy of it.

Aug 24, 2008, 10:47 AM
    The one that my mother has is the original, with all the yellowed dogeared pages. Would the title company have the original for mine, or is it kept in the county couthouse?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
    The original of all ownership papers is filed and stored at the court house. You had no reason to pay for a new abstract ( complete title search) since one was just done by a close family member, So a search of just the last years of her ownship would have been all you needed, but you could hire a title company or real estate attorney to do a new search for you and provide you a copy.

The deed, quit claim, warranty and so on is what transfers ownership, you should have received that and the original filed at the court house
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW43512
    The one that my mother has is the original, with all the yellowed dogeared pages. Would the title company have the original for mine, or is it kept in the county couthouse?
    The abstract of title is basically a copy of the deeds of all prior owners of the property. When an owner receives a deed, the original is sent to the county clerk or county register's office where it gets recorded. The county clerk stamps it with the recording information, makes a copy for their office and returns the original stamped deed to the property owner.

When you obtain an abstract of title you are getting copies of the recorded deeds that the county clerk has on file for that property. The reason that your mother's copy was yellowed and dog-eared is because the pages have been sitting around for a long time. :)
    deedgrabber Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Aug 25, 2008, 05:07 AM
    The abstract of title is a report that a specific company generates. For mortgage or purchase purposes the title company usually only goes back 30-50 years. You have to pay much more to trace back the title to the 1800's and this would be for novelty purposes only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repo motorcycle want to obtain title. [ 9 Answers ]

I have been storing a repo motorcycle and I have had some mechanical work done on it. I live in Oregon and the bike has Washington plates. The bike has been in repo for about 7 years. How can I get the title? The bike belongs to my sister. I went to DMV and I have a form but not sure exactly...

How do I obtain a title for this wrecked car. [ 2 Answers ]

My wife was hit by a large truck in the Walmart parking lot 2 years ago. The 2001 chevrolet Malibu only had 27,000 miles on it. It was declared a total loss by State Farm. I purchased the vehicle in anticipation of fixing the vehicle as it was all superficial damage and the air bag had deployed....

Abstract Algebra [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to understand abstract algebra? Any good resources? I'm studying and studying and still not understanding.

Obtaining Abstract of Title & Survey [ 7 Answers ]

I have an unique situation. I bought a house with a grant from the County I live in. Due to numerous problems that I believe are related to the construction house was built (they has house built) they are offering to purchase house back for the exact amount I owe the bank. They requested an updated...

View more questions Search