Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2008, 05:47 AM
    Replace window
    How can I replace newer windows that have the flange around the outside of window and attached to house under the siding?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Unless you plan to reside you don't use that window. You are describing a new construction window, you neeed a remodleing window. Ask the folks in the home store to show you the difference.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 10:38 PM
    I'm with Bob, however it depends on what type of siding you have. If you vinyl or aluminum you could temporarily remove the siding and replace the window. It all depends on how bad you want to do it. Siding goes up from the bottom up, it comes down from the top down. If there is not much above the top of the window you may want to just start at the top and work down. If there is a lot of siding, or if you wish, you can start one piece above the window. There is a little tool for unhooking the bottom of one piece from the top of the piece below it. You slip the tool up under the bottom of the top piece, catch the edge that is held in place by the lip on the top of the piece below, pull down and out to separate the two. You then lift the top piece and remove the nails of lower piece. You start at the end of a length of siding, once you get the two pieces started you just pull on the upper piece and they sort of unzip. Works better on vinyl because vinyl is a little more flexible then aluminum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Window removal and replace with a wall [ 3 Answers ]

I need to remove a large old style wooden sash window and want to fill it in to use as wall space. It is in the front wall of the house. How to I tell if it is weight bearing wall or doesn't it make any difference? And would all I need to do is build a frame and then put studs in?

How to replace a rotten wooden window sill [ 3 Answers ]

Never done this before and would like to know where to start and what tools would be needed.The rest of the frames are sound (TwoExtreior sills both 6ft long.) I have very little experience of extrerior wood repairs Could you please help and advise any essential tools. Thank you!:)

Replace power window motor 2004 mercury monterey [ 1 Answers ]

How do you replace the power window motor on a 2004 mercury monterey? Do I have to take out the regulater?

Replace front passenger door window 96 Corsica [ 1 Answers ]

Someone broke in to my son's 96 Chevrolet Corsica and took his new CD player. The problem I am left with is replacing the window. I contacted a local wrecking yard and have a window replacement. It's an electric setup and what I am trying to find out is if this is a major undertaking or if with a...

Can I replace glass for pilot light window? [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older Coleman wall Natural Gas heater. The glass is missing where you can look at the pilot light (some foil has been stuck in there). Is there a certain type of glass we can put in there? We are selling our house and the inspector said to replace it.

View more questions Search