Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 25, 2006, 01:34 PM
    All we are saying... is give peace a chance
    If you think this war we are having is for bad intentions... raise your mouse!
    crazytrain Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2006, 03:18 PM
    It needed to happen
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2006, 03:58 PM
    it did not need to happen.

afghanistan needed to happen. I backed that completely. Go after the taliban and bin laden, fine. The blood of 911 completely justified that move.

as I just mentioned in another thread, I never was comfortable with iraq, and its only become worse than id feared. Not an issue of hindsight... I didn't like it from the start, even assuming the wmd's were present. The only 911 ties I saw w iraq was a state that sponsored terrorism and payment of $$ to the families of martyrs. While I found this distasteful and dangerous, to me it never justified the invasion. Told my wife as we were prepping to invade that this did not feel right at all.

you cannot use the human rights issue against iraq either, as we've certainly ignored other gross violations of human rights throughout africa. Even the yugoslav conflict was a mess we simply didn't want to step in.

I have a very good friend from iran. He grew up threre, worked in the oil industry there, and then came to the US to get his PhD. He in now married to a lady from Nebraska, has a daughter who is every bit an American as I am, and teaches future doctors, scientists, and health care providers with a great love and passion for teaching. I expect he'll live here as long as he is allowed (non citizen).

we have discussed political perceptions on many occasions, including the war on terror. I can tell you... I am not wholly comfortable with his views. He believes that there is no "terrorism"... that a sovereign people fight with whatever means they can. If that means a conventional army, fine. If the people cannot fight and resist by that means, than any other means necessary might be all they have... that guerilla warfare is simply another form of self defense.

I don't agree with this thought process. I think, as ridiculous as it sounds, that there should be rules of engagement and moral lines in warfare. But it is not hard to see his perspective, even though I don't agree with it. The palestinian people are among the most impoverished in the world. Easy to see how the violence is perpetuated throughout the generations. I rank my friends views among the "passive supporters"... one who does not actively support the terrorists, but enables their existence through accepting their struggle as simply a means to an end. It is a view that disturbs me.

I understand the people of iran to be intelligent and proud. I think their president is a nutjob. I think he's largely bluffing in his threats. I think his people will suffer for his actions through sanctions and isolation. For as much as iraq mocked the UN inspections, there is speculation that much of the data supporting the wmd's might have been fabricated by hussein's own generals, fearing for their lives and posts if they didn't lie to him about their ability to recover from crippling sactions and isolation. Iran has swung from extreme to moderate before. It will happen again.

I know this is rambling. I just hate to see the blood spilled in hate on 911 mixed in with the muck that is iraq. I have friends who have served in iraq. Accuse me of not supporting the troops and ill be glad to step outside with you. I sweated and worried each day when one friend in particular was gone and served with honor and dignity.

but we are in a terrible mess now. There will be a vacuum if we pull out, and there is violence as we stay. And the people of iraq, many of whom were simply the subjects of a dictorial state, are the ones who will suffer the most.

the whole thing makes me sick.

as I stated in my other post... I will be thrilled the day I go to the election booth and struggle to choose between two great candidates. I have not had that experience yet, and dare say I have yet to vote for any great president during the 5 presidential elections in which I've voted. =P
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2006, 05:54 PM
    It happened, the entire Congress backed it, Republician and Democrat,

It is happening, so now you can't just back out and leave the people defenseless. So we are stuck at this point and time. I have never heard any other reasonable choice in what to do.

Of course what about Iran, it is going to have to happen very shortly too over the nuke issue, Don't see hardly any way around it.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2006, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck

Of course what about Iran, it is going to have to happen very shortly too over the nuke issue, Don't see hardly any way around it.
    Ummm... hmmm... no way out.

Really?

So a leader with nuclear power and hostile rhetoric should be taken out? Period?

I understand the old days of the cold war are not the same as today's political and volitile environment.

But to say that a harsh talking leader with the potential for nuclear weapons warrants an invasion... man.

I guess id better put away my new testament and focus on the old.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Comments on this post
    Cajalat agrees: Are you talking about BUSH? :)

Aw man! You sprung the super secret trap! You weren't supposed to mention that until I did.
    ILOVEKDB Posts: 17, Reputation: 8

Jul 15, 2007, 07:46 AM
    I have talked to soldiers who have gone over there, and they tell me it needed to happen, they say the've seen progress... People used to live in fear of walking out on the street, now many cities live with very little fear at all... The Media shwos you what they want you to see... angry middle easteren locals, dead bodys, destroied buildings... fires kids cry... they don't show you cities being built, locals and US troops side by side stacking bricks... they don't show you the boys and girls running to the soldiers and hugging them thanking them for saving there mommy... or just for freeing there contery... Before we removed Sadam he had the power to put anyone in the Gas Chamber child or not, and kill them PAINFULY... now murder is reserfed for sever crims and must be voted on... As one of the strongest nations in the world it is our DUTY TO PROTECT THE WEAK... If you know someone who died over there, or even someone who servered over there, you must have no respect if we pull out now all there lives would be lost in vain... think about what they would want... they would want us to FINISH THE FIGHT and SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 09:15 AM
    People have struggled and agonized over war since its first casualties, so it's understandable that you do. You actually raise several issues here that many others also question. Myself, I'm against war period, but like love and hate it seems to be part of the nature of man', just as waras part of the make-up of government. This being the case, I agree with your friend from Iran. 'Rules of engagement' are for the protection of the strongest, the Aristocrats- the Elite- the powerful- the moneyed, if you will.

War's have begun for a couple of reasons i.e. economics' and equality by way of Human Rights; one being a just war, and the other for which there is no justification. Iraq was, and is a 'Just War', and if we go to War with Iran, it too will be a 'Just War'. The American People will not stand for an 'Unjust' War. Sure, there are plenty of people who are selfish enough to condone such an act, but they don't run the country.

There are a couple of 'Strawmen' in your “Ramblings”, as you put it.

1) We will not go to war with Iran because they peruse nuclear capability.
    2) There would not be a vacuum in Iraq if we withdrew.
    3) We did not invade Iraq because of their weapons of mass destruction.
    4) We did not invade because of 9/11
    ILOVEKDB Posts: 17, Reputation: 8

Jul 15, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Oh and I'd like to add that we did find prof of WMD (wepons of mass destruction) in Iraq... we found empty bomb shells caple to hold missles that could destry New York in a few shots... and we video tapes 6 trucks (16 wheelers) pulling out of an "abandoned shack the day before it was set to be searched... sounds a little fishy to me... but i agree with Dark Crow.... we didn't go there becasue of WMD's we went there to free its people of a tourturs tyranical dictator... and to attempt to remove the inserganse from the area... and the "bench marks" that are supposed to be met have not acctully been met BUT if we break them down into 2 sections... almost half if not more of the security and military bench marks have been met, meaning Iraq is starting to defend its self and eventluy when its ready we can pull out but if we pull out a second sooner all the dead soldiers would have lost there lives in vain
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 11:12 AM
    All I am saying is give Petraeus a chance
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 16, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Cgirl,

Just out of curiosity, just how long of a chance should we be giving peace?

When is enough enough?

When has the chance at peace run out?

Is it after the 1st UN resolution? The Fifth? The 18th?

Is it after the first time a government refuses to live up to its cease fire agreement? The fifth? The 125th?

Is it after they use WMDs against their own people? Or after they use it on their enemies?

Is it after the first time he fires on your aircraft? The 5th? The 25th? The 125th?

Is it after the first mass killing or political opponents? The fifth? The 25th?

Is it after the first goup of opponents that is "disappeared"? The fifth? The 25th?

Is it after the first case of turture, rape and murder of enemies? The fifth? The 25th?

Is it after the first time the government funds the enemies who have already attacked your country? The fifth? The 25th?

Is it after the first time he hides international terrorists from you? The fifth? The 25th?

When is enough enough? When does it come time to say "Peace has failed, now let's go to war"?

To my way of thinking, 12 years was pleanty of time to give peace a chance. Peace failed miserably. Now let's give war a chance. Historically speaking, war has a better track record of getting rid of dictators and totalitarian regimes than peace.

Elliot

Jul 16, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEKDB
    Oh and i'd like to add that we did find prof of WMD (wepons of mass destruction) in Iraq.... we found empty bomb shells caple to hold missles that could destry new york in a few shots.... and we video tapes 6 trucks (16 wheelers) pulling out of an "abandoned shack the day before it was set to be searched... sounds a little fishy to me...
    Actually, we found a heck of a lot more than that.

We found 500 TONS of weapons-grade yellowcake uranium. It only takes about 3 pounds of the stuff to make a bomb, so there was enough there to make more than 133,000 nuclear bombs. More if all they were interested in was dirty conventional bombs, and not actual nuclear reactions.

We also found 500 sarin-filled and mustard-filled mortar shells.

David Kay found weapons-grade biological and chemical materials in several labs and in the private homes of prominent Iraqi weapons scientists.

We found mobile laboratories capable of producing weapons grade chemicals that Saddam's people claimed were for "agricultural purposes", several hundred barrels of dual-purpose chemicals that could either be weapons or industrial chemicals... but they were found in weapons storage depots.

What we did not find were large numbers of fully assembled WMDs. We did, however, find that Saddam had the capability to assemble large numbers of WMDs in short order with the equipment he had.

We found documentation in Saddam's own records of the fact that he had WMDs, and that they were being hidden from the inspectors.

Frankly, as far as I am concerned, we got the goods on Saddam. I don't know why Bush never played that fact up, but there is no doubt in my mind that we found a HUGE amount of WMD capability in Iraq, and that Saddam was indeed a WMD threat.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    Cgirl,

Just out of curiosity, just how long of a chance should we be giving peace?

When is enough enough?

When has the chance at peace run out?

Is it after the 1st UN resolution? The Fifth? The 18th?

Is it after the first time a government refuses to live up to its cease fire agreement? The fifth? The 125th?

Is it after they use WMDs against their own people? Or after they use it on their enemies?

Is it after the first time he fires on your aircraft? The 5th? The 25th? The 125th?

Is it after the first mass killing or political opponents? The fifth? The 25th?

Is it after the first goup of opponents that is "disappeared"? The fifth? The 25th?

Is it after the first case of turture, rape and murder of enemies? The fifth? The 25th?

Is it after the first time the government funds the enemies who have already attacked your country? The fifth? The 25th?

Is it after the first time he hides international terrorists from you? The fifth? The 25th?

When is enough enough? When does it come time to say "Peace has failed, now let's go to war"?

To my way of thinking, 12 years was pleanty of time to give peace a chance. Peace failed miserably. Now let's give war a chance. Historically speaking, war has a better track record of getting rid of dictators and totalitarian regimes than peace.
    With these people Elliot, all I can come up with is the idea of peace must be more important than the reality of peace. They WANT peace but aren't willing to do what's sometimes necessary to achieve peace - like extreme violence toward evil genocidal dictators and terrorists that only understand violence. They don't seem to understand we have to speak the same 'language' as the dictators and terrorists in order to reach an 'understanding.'
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Hello:

Here is a perfect example of why going into Iraq was a mistake. Because he was WRONG on Iraq, most of the people think he was WRONG in his war on terror. That's a dangerous assessment.

They called it crying wolf when I was a kid. Crying wolf DOESN'T make you safe. It may get you elected, but it doesn't make you safe. Shame on Bush.

excon
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

Here is a perfect example of why going into Iraq was a mistake. Because he was WRONG on Iraq, most of the people think he was WRONG in his war on terror. That's a dangerous assessment.

They called it crying wolf when I was a kid. Crying wolf DOESN'T make you safe. It may get you elected, but it doesn't make you safe. Shame on Bush.

excon
    Sunnis revolt against al-Qaida
    By STEVEN R. HURST, Associated Press Writers
    Thu May 31, 6:51 PM ET

BAGHDAD - U.S. troops battled al-Qaida in west Baghdad on Thursday
    After Sunni Arab residents challenged the militants and called for
    American help to end furious gunfire that kept students from final
    Exams and forced people in the neighborhood to huddle indoors.

Iraqis Want Freedom(Thank-you America): Sunni Iraqis Ask for U.S. Help Against al-Qaeda - soc.culture.iraq | Google Groups
    Ask the Sunnis if it was wrong.

Jul 17, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Hello:

excon
    Excon,

Where, exactly, was Bush wrong?

Was it in his claim of WMDs? I already addressed that in my posts above. 500 TONS of yellowcake uranium constitutes a WMD threat in my book. So does 500+ saring and mustard fiilled mortar shells. And large quantities of "dual use" chemicals that were stored in weapons facilities, not farms. And quantities of weapons-grade biological and chemical materials hidden in the homes of Iraqi weapons-scientists. Sorry, we gotthe goods on Saddam regarding WMDs.

Was it with regard to Saddam's violation of UN Resolutions and the ceasefire agreement? I talked about that too. 18 violated resolutions, thousands of documented incidents of firing on Coalition planes, failure to allow WMD inspections (which, coincidentally, would have allowed us to avoid the entire war if Saddam had really gotten rid of his WMDs), failure to return Kuwaiti POWs and materials to Kuwait, etc.

Was it with regard to Saddams association with terrorists? Sorry, no dice. Saddam's own documents show that he met with al Qaeda's leadership. He was funding the families of suicide bombers. He sheltered the Abu Nidal group. And he even had a terrorist training facility in Salman Pak, fer godsakes.

Was it with regard to Saddams treatment of his own people? Sorry, been there, discussed that too. His human rights violations have been thoroughly documented, and are too long to document here.

So where was Bush wrong?

As far as crying wolf is concerned, sorry but that analogy doesn't play out. What happens if there really is a wolf, and you call for help numerous times and nobody comes? Isn't it incumbent on you to get your shotgun and take care of the wolf yourself?

Elliot
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Where, exactly, was Bush wrong?
    Hello again, El:

This is not rocket science. The war in Iraq is lost. That makes him wrong in my book. Yes, yes, I know - not in yours.

I don't know if he lost it before he went in. I don't know if he lost it because of his war plan, or I don't know if he lost it because of the media. Any of those are possibilities. I know which one you'll choose.

What I know is, he lost the war because he lost (is losing) the support of his own party. That IS happening today. I doubt even you will deny it --- but you've surprised me in the past.

excon

PS> Will they spin it as a victory?? They'll try.

Jul 17, 2007, 07:26 AM
    excon,

Define lost?

Coalition troop casualties: approximately 3600.
    Enemy fighter casualties: approximately 50,000+ .

Land held by coalition troops: roughly 100%
    Land held by enemy fighters: 0%

Percentage of battles won by coalition troops: 100%
    Percentage of battles won by enemy fighters: 0%

By what criterion do you define the war in Iraq as "lost"? How do you define lost? This is a question I have been asking for months, and I have yet to find a satisfactory answer.

The best anyone has come up with is the idea that the Iraqis don't want us there, therefore we have lost. Bull$h!t. We don't define who wins a war by whether the country we are occupying really wants us there or not. The Germans and Japanese didn't want us there after WWII. Who cares, we won, we stayed there for 60 years.

And it can't be the fact that al Qaeda isn't there, because they are now, whether they were there before on not. I believe they were, but whether that is true or not, they are now. Ever hear of "Al Qaeda In Iraq"? We keep shooting them, and they keep dying without causing us any significant losses.

So what does "lost" mean regarding Iraq? And if you can't define it, perhaps its because it isn't happening and we haven't lost the war in Iraq, despite the hopes of certain members of the left. The troops certainly don't think they have lost.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 07:32 AM
    So what does "lost" mean regarding Iraq?
    Hello El:

Let me try this again. The loss I'm talking about didn't happen in Iraq. It happened (IS happening) in Washington, and the Republicans in the Senate are doing it.

excon

Jul 17, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Hello El:

Let me try this again. The loss I'm talking about didn't happen in Iraq. It happened (IS happening) in Washington, and the Republicans in the Senate are doing it.

excon
    By the answer above, ("The loss I'm talking about didn't happen in Iraq") you are basically saying that things are going fine on the ground in Iraq. It is back in Washington that things in the political arena are being defined as a "loss". And I agree. Which brings me back to the point that Congress has no place in the running of wars. That is the President's job as CnC, and the military as... well, as the military.

But all you have done is shifted the location of "where" we are losing. You still haven't defined what "lost" means in the context of the Iraq war. I have defined what winning means, based on the Admin's stated goals. And by those definitions, we are not losing, we are in fact making progress in Iraq.

But you continue to insist that we have lost in Iraq, without explaining what you mean by "lost". Until you define what "lost" means, there is no way to quantify whether it is true or not. So please, provide an explanation of "lost" means with regard to the war in Iraq.

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coming to terms and peace with dying [ 17 Answers ]

How does one come to terms with dying. How does one get over the fear of the unknown and find peace?

Just trying to get my peace of mind back [ 4 Answers ]

Im really going through an emotional brakedown rightnow.it seems like so much is against me.I am ayoung mother and recently my boyfriend of 2 years just left me and now I'm down and out he just left me with all the responsibilities.it's like he strayed away and cheated and now I guess he acts like...

Peace in the Church [ 11 Answers ]

Why do so many Christians ignore the peace teachings of Christ? Isn't it obvious that he did not come to establish a worldly kingdom? Yet, this administration and many of the Christians seek to bring about the kingdom through worldly mechanisms rather than through Christian living. Just...

Religion is what can conserve peace [ 36 Answers ]

Today all peoples are fighting for religion,this is true some fight with guns other with thoughts and some with their philosophy.a person who curse other in name of religion only right when other has stopped him or her to do their practice.the peoples who killed other in name of religion don't even...

Should I give his brother a chance? [ 4 Answers ]

There is this guy that I'm not sure if I still like him and I'm not sure if he still likes me, because he doesn't call or write me anymore. We never went out and he wasn't my boyfriend, we just hanged around like friends even though we knew that we liked each other. This guy #1 has a brother(guy...

View more questions Search