Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daisydew Posts: 75, Reputation: 14

Aug 23, 2008, 09:15 PM
    People from the past
    Is it possible to find a significant other that doesn't have regular contact with people from their past? All my boyfriend's have remained in contact with at least some of their exes/hookups. Personally, I don't think this contact is really necessary. They are an ex for a reason and it's time to move on. As for the hookups... it seems like once you cross that boundary it becomes inappropriate to hang out with them once you are in a new relationship.

I really like my current boyfriend, but he keeps in contact with his ex gfs and hookups. My jealousy of this type of situation contributed to the end of my last relationship so I'm trying really hard not to let it get to me. It's not working though. It keeps getting worse with time.

Is it normal to stay in contact with exes/hookups? I mean maybe it's more difficult with hookups because they're most likely friends too. All I know is that I know longer talk to ex boyfriends and I've never had nor want a "hookup." Do I have unreal expectations for boyfriends to be the same?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
    The problem as I see it is that you keep dealing with the ones who do keep exes in there lives. Why do you stay?

Seems you need to broaden your approach to guys, and reject the ones with that quality that you don't like, and brings out the jealousy in you.

Half the battle is working with a partner to define the boundaries of a relationship, through honest communications. Letting them know how their contact with exes makes you feel. If they don't or can't work with you then its time to move on, or you accept it for what it is.
    daisydew Posts: 75, Reputation: 14

Aug 23, 2008, 09:38 PM
    I'm trying to be open with this boyfriend. I told him it makes me uncomfortable and he said well do you want me to stop talking to them? I told him I didn't want to tell him what to do, just how I feel. I know it all reality he would still talk to them even if he said he wasn't.

You're right that I have had this problem with all guys I've dated. That's why I'm wondering if it's a problem with me? Am I the one that isn't normal?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
    It really depends on how he keeps in touch with them. I've kept in touch with most of my exes, but they're mostly shallow "catch ups"... just to see how they're doing.

Of course, my most recent ex... I strongly doubt I'll ever stay in touch with her, simply because how we ended things.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 10:20 PM
    You are who you are, and should be honest about it, especially when they ask what they should do about it. If your wishy washy about what you want, how do you expect them to know what to do about it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad past [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm 17 and have yet to have a girlfriend ( I no it sound really sad), I have had a really bad past from primary to secondary I was really overweight and unattractive this of course lead to low confidence since then thoe I have thined out and become a lot more warrey of what I look like when I go...

Can't let go of the past. [ 10 Answers ]

I moved to another state to live with my dad thousands of miles away about a month ago and I go to another school, I got a great new job. Why is it after 7 months I still think about my ex? We haven't spoken since early September and I saw her by accident in the gym one day around thanksgiving. How...

How to let go of the past [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married for 8 years and I have beautiful children with this man, but my past keeps haunting me. I was in a relationship 10 years ago and he was very abusive mentally, as well as being physically abusive. He didn't start that way though. He was never abusive at all until his grandpa died...

View more questions Search