Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fasymoono Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Moving Into College
    Hi there,

My name is Matt. I don't feel that my situation is unique to myself among my peers, but it is an emotionally delicate one.

I am 20 years old, and in my 3rd year of college which is out of state from my home- about 4 hours away. Every time that I've moved in/out of the college dorms my parents have chauffeured me in the family car and helped unpack, setup, etc.

I've been working all summer at a restaurant and I finally made enough money to buy my own car. My first. I intended to bring it to school with me.

It's a '98 Dodge Intrepid. Really roomy. Good, solid car. More than enough room for all my dorm things and whatever else I need for me at college.

Herein lies the rub- I want to pack up my car, drive up and move myself into college when the day comes. I know that my parents- especially my mother -will have a problem with that. But I feel that I'm old enough now to be doing that sort of thing by myself. Still, my mom would be very hurt.

Unfortunately the distance is great enough that if I were to let them take me up to school in their car and move me in, leaving my new car at home, I wouldn't be able to come back home and get it for at least a few weeks.

Meh. How would you approach this?

Thank you.

-M
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Personally, I was on the other side... my parents lived 30 minutes away, but they didn't help me move in.

... they never visited.

... in fact, they got LOST on the day of graduation... driving 30 min.

Don't get me wrong, my family and I are extremely close, but they've always raised me to be really independent... so... yeah.

If I were you, I'd ask them if they wouldn't mind that you drove yourself to school and took your car, and to make up for it, perhaps they could visit after your first midterm or something like it and you can take them out to dinner.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 07:48 PM
    You take your car, they take their car and let them help move you in. These are the last years they will get to do that, you are doing this for them, not for you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 08:03 PM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck tell them the conveniences that you should take your car. Pack it up the night before or that day. Let them take a couple or a few things if that will make them happy. Let them follow you up if they wish to be a support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

Should I drop out of a 2 year college and go to a 4 year college instead? [ 6 Answers ]

Ok last September I attended a two year college for one semester and I took a semester off due to financial difficulties. I was suppose to start school next week and I don't think I can make it. I told my friend and family I would go back to school this sept, I don't think that's going to happen...

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

Moving expenses - college to first job and interviews [ 1 Answers ]

We moved from AZ to CT after my wife graduated medical school for a paid residency. Are these expenses deductible? I've heard you can only claim them when moving from JOB to JOB, not COLLEGE to JOB. Also, are the expenses involved in job searching (airfare, hotels, car rental) deductible? She...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

View more questions Search