Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    120805 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 03:15 PM
    8 month old puppy has accidents in house
    Hi,
    I have an 8 month old Lhasa Apso. He is a beautiful loyal dog and I love him to bits. The problem that am having with him is he keeps doing the toilet in my kids bedroom and the kids play area. Obviously this is not good for my young children. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get him to stop this?

Thanks
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Aug 23, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Crate training is very successful.

You want to teach the dog to eliminate only outside. During the training period, it's up to you to set limits. For example, if you don't allow your puppy free access to the living room and bedrooms, he can't make a mess on the carpets there.

Have feedings on a schedule and then take the puppy outside until he goes to the "toilet". Puppies usually need to eliminate shortly after waking up, after eating, and after playing. Young puppies may need to urinate every four hours.

When your puppy eliminates outside, praise and reward him immediately and play with him. Most people will reward their puppy for urinating outside only after they have brought him back indoors: This is a mistake because it rewards the pup for coming inside, not for eliminating outside. Instead, keep a few treats in your pocket and hand them out on the spot.

The most important part is being consistent. Be repetitive, this will help him understand what you expect.
    120805 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Thank you Blakecoty for your help. I do not have a crate but after reading up on threads I now realise just how much I need one for my pup.

Do you have any advice on how I can get my dog to walk on the lead? As soon as he leaves the garden he sits down and won't move. The only time that I have got him to walk on a lead is when my husband held the lead and I walked in front of my dog and he followed me. I can't get my husband to come out on every walk though. Am desperate for him to properly walk outside as I feel my dog and I are both missing out on a lot of fun together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is having accidents in the house [ 2 Answers ]

My dog Laycee is about 4 years old. We just got her about a week ago from the SPCA. She's a really good dog. We got her spayed last week and now the last couple of days she's started pooping in our spare room on the carpet. How do I curb this behavior? I'm not open to rubbing her nose in it...

6 month old puppy still having accidents [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently moved in with a roommate whose puppy is now 6 months old and she still has accidents and doesn't know how to let us know when she needs to go out. So I have a few questions. What should we do when she does have an accident? She makes a piddle when she is excited to see...

My 10wk old pug puppy is having accidents in the house (m) [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking him outside at least every hour or two, and will crate him if we can't watch him. We have had him for 11 days and he has had several "accidents" in the house, and we always take him outside when he is caught in the act. I have been cleaning the spots with pet cleaner, so...

5 1/2 month old puppy still having accidents inside [ 14 Answers ]

I have never had a puppy before, my previous dog was potty trained when I got her. But I am having problems with accident inside the house every day.. I started taking her out to potty every hour as suggested by the trainer and now if I don't take her every 45 minutes to an hour all the time she...

8 month old still has accidents in crate (NEW) [ 6 Answers ]

I saw this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=6672&highlight=dog+crate And I am a bit disappointed (and concerned) that there was no resolution. I have the same problem with an alternative bullbreed that goes in her cage almost every night. I will try something new...

View more questions Search