Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DianaKay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Mother's change in behavior
    I'll try to summarize this the best I can. My mother has always been very active and usually likes to be in charge. Her life is geared around her children, church and one of her favorite activities is her large yard. She's always liked to travel a lot, but prefers short trips as she likes being home. WE lost my dad to cancer 16 years ago and she has been alone since. She has been in great health... as far as we know. In the last couple of years she has had tremendous anxiety handling events at church. She has played organ there since she was probably high school age and she is now 77. I feel she doesn't like some of the changes happening, not because they are wrong, but because she is not in control and maybe she feels she will no longer be needed. She has been lashing out verbally at different people in church, especially my sister-in-law who she's always liked. I'm told this behavior carries over some into her other social activities as well. She worked as a very compassionate nurse for years. This is not like my mother at all. I live about 3 hours away so I'm not there to witness this but I believe what people are telling me. She tells me on the phone how she doesn't like things going on and teases sometimes about setting them straight. Whenever we are with her she seems perfectly fine! Could she have early alzheimers? Wouldn't her rash behavior show up with us sometimes? We've already talked about visiting with her personal m.d. so he would have a heads up. We just don't know how to approach this whole thing. Thanks for any advice.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 02:16 PM
    She could just be over reacting because she knows she is getting older and could be worrying about becoming a burden on others. Also older people really don't like changes especially things to do with their religious beliefs. My guess is your mom is fine other than beating herself up about growing old and becoming a burden.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Just get it over and done with and visit with her doctor, discuss her care, or anxiety, your meds, past and present. No need to worry about alzheimers for now. She could have had a slight stroke, and that would explain her behavior. Small strokes don't always carry disabilities but it is warning sign. She would not know that she is having one unless there was someone around who would recognize the signs and symptoms.

Does she live by herself ?

Take care of her. For now you are her first line of defence, and of course her doctor needs to be aware of any changes occurring in her lifestyle.

He will probably order (I hope) some test and she should be with you to make it easier to adjust to these.

Just remember, 77 is not elderly in this day and age;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am having trouble understanding my mother's behavior. [ 2 Answers ]

Since I was little, my mother has always been hard to deal with, yelling at me for silly little things or picking arguments with me when she knew it would interfer with something important. If I made a mistake, she would hold onto it and use it later to make me feel bad. All the while, telling me...

Cat behavior change [ 4 Answers ]

My male cat has been acting strangely the last couple of days. He usually does not like to sit with people, and dislikes being bothered, but lately this has changed. He has been sleeping in weird places, like under desks, and comes and curls up next to people. Also if you pick him up and set him...

My cat behavior has change [ 2 Answers ]

My cat has been hissing at my husband mostly lately. She has not been the friendliest of cats. We have only been married for a short while. She seemed to be OK with him and now she has gone backwards. She is almost 12 years old... any thoughts?

Sudden change of behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone. My husband and I have 2 cats who are brother and sister. We've had our babies almost their whole lives and they're about 2 years old. They're both usually frisky, playful with each other and us, affectionate and very much a part of our lives. Sebastian, who has always been the...

Cat Behavior Change [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an 11 year old cat who has , over the past few weeks, become more withdrawn and just acting.. different. He doesn't come when he's called, he kind of hides from everyone and the other cats (one his brother and one his best friend). He just has lost the spring in his step and even his...

View more questions Search