Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    country63 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Florida Resident working in Georgia
    Hi, My husband & I are Florida Resident and have worked in Florida for years. We live almost into Georgia and my husband changed his job and now works in Georgia. He will get a w-2 for Florida & w-2 for Georgia for 2008 return. Florida does not have State Tax but Georgia does. I have a few question.

Can I file the State Tax for non resident on e-file ?
    Can I file the federal Return for Florida and Georgia together on e-file?
    Will I get All OF the Georgia State Tax return back since I am not a Georgia Resident?

Please help. I am used to doing all my taxes on TaxAct & wondering if I will have to have someone do our taxes this year. Thank you and have a great day.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 09:10 PM
    You must file Georgia tax return and report income you earned while in Georgia. You must pay Georgia state tax. Read: Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

For professional help from AtlantaTaxExpert, contact [email protected].
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 10:32 AM
    1) Yes, you CAN efile a non-resident Georgia tax return.

2) Normally, you efile the state return when you efile the federal return.

3) No, you will NOT get all of the GA taxes back. Like every other state that has a state income tax, Georgia taxes all income earned within Georgia's borders, regardless of whether the income is earned by a state resident or by a non-resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident Georgia taxes, working within Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

I have been working in Georgia, for a Georgia based company, for the past 22 years while living in Florida. I have had Georgia tax taken out of my salary all this time. I have filed Georgia Income Tax and filled out the schedule for "Non-residents" every year. It indicates that I must pay the tax...

Live in Florida, work in Georgia. [ 4 Answers ]

If I am living in Florida, and work in Georgia, and Georgia takes out state taxes what do I do about filing in Florida which does not have state income taxes.:confused:

Non resident tax refund from Georgia (atlanta) [ 1 Answers ]

I lived and worked in minnesota for complete 2006 fiscal year. But my employer is based out of Georgia. So he has withheld my georgia state tax for the year 2006. But in total I am 100% non resident of georgia. Never visited or worked in Georgia. I have already filed my tax for the fiscal year...

Full-Time Resident of Georgia? [ 1 Answers ]

Forgot to mention this before I sent out my email concerning residency. We moved to TN in May,2006 but did not sell our house in Georgia until September 2006. My son is a full-time student in Georgia and resides there, but is still listed as a dependent on our taxes (he does not work). How do we...

Non Resident tax refund for Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

I am residing in Minnesota.. never worked or went to state of Georgia.n total I am 100% non resident for the state of Georgia. But my employer for whom I work is in georgie.He has paid all my state tax to Georgia. But I came to know that even if my employer is from Georgia, I can ask for the...

View more questions Search