Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lchrz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Leaked water from 2nd floor to 1st floor!
    I was cleaning a bathtub on the second floor and unfortunately left the water on with the sprayer on the floor. It ran for about 5 - 10 minutes before discovered. The water leaked through the tile floor and dripped through the ceiling of the first floor. After cleaning up the water, what is the next step? Do I have to worry about the stability of the 2nd floor floor/1st floor ceiling? What about mold inside the walls? Will it dry by itself?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Most likely you will only have water stain on th ceiling below. Not much else you can do but wait for it to dry. All depends on how much water. If it was a great deal you might want to make a small hole in the ceiling below and let the water out. That's about all you can do.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Harold is right, I might add that a fan in both the upstairs room and down stairs will speed up the drying. The faster you dry thingts out the better, mold will start growing in 48 hours if the ceiling is still damp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub leaked through to 1st floor [ 1 Answers ]

We have a leak from a bathtub. We noticed it from the first floor as water was coming from a light fixture. We believe it happened when draining the tub from our daughters bath. We do not have an access panel on the other side of the bath fixtures. What do we do?

How to keep second floor deck from dripping water onto first floor deck [ 5 Answers ]

We are planning to build a second floor deck over an existing deck. Will be 16 x 12 when finished. My question is this. We don't want the upper deck to allow water to drip onto the lower deck when raining. How can this be prevented? I want to use 5/4 decking on top, but don't see how we can do that...

2nd Floor, Floor drain backing up with water in restroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a second floor restroom at my workplace and there is a little bit of water backing up and some sewer gas smell. There is rarely anything that goes down that drain but there is a little water in it that I can see. Also it seems that the urinals in the same restroom are draining very slowly....

Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' . Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction...

2nd floor bathroom leaked [ 1 Answers ]

I live on the 2nd floor apartment. We moved here about 4 months ago. About 3 weeks ago my children were taking a bath in the tub. My down stairs neighbor came to back door and said that here ceiling was leaking. When I went down stairs to check the ceiling was drenched with water. Now my...

View more questions Search