Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxhopingtearsxx Posts: 45, Reputation: -1

Aug 23, 2008, 08:56 AM
    If I eat a penny, will I get any nutrients?
    I know this sounds like a silly question, and I don't recommend doing this because I won't either.. But, if someone eats a penny or some sort of small object that will just pass through your body without harming anything, will the person get any nutrients from it? Maybe there was a little food on the penny, or maybe the penny has something the body can absorb?

I'm asking this because it's a question that has been in my head for a long time and I'm looking for the answer.

I asked this on Go Ask Alice, too, but I'm hoping I'll get a quicker response here.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Years ago they said it was good to swallow one penny in a life time for the copper.
    Now pennies are zinc with very little copper.
    NO don't swallow a penny it really is of absolutely NO benefit.
    You get more zinc and copper drinking a cup of Hershey's cocoa (but not the instant)
    And a lot safer than a penny.
    xxhopingtearsxx Posts: 45, Reputation: -1

Aug 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
    What if I ate like cat food? (Im not saying I'm eating a penny or cat food.. xD don't worry) would there be any nutrients for my body to... absorb?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 04:55 PM
    It really depends on what type of cat food...

The food that my dog eats (some sort of processed corn, barley, rice, and chicken) is probably better than the burgers I eat...

If you were starving, I'm sure it's to some benefit, but I'm also pretty positive that there are substances in the food that will cause upset stomach.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 05:01 PM
    I used to swallow my church collection penny during the early part of the church service. I'm still alive to tell about it. I'm surprised I never ended up with the heebie-jeebies.

Some of the Fancy Feast cat food (minced beef, mmmmmmm) I give my cats really smells good. Try some on Triscuit crackers and let me know how it tastes.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 05:04 PM
    ... you stole from the church collection plate? Shame on you wg... shame.

As an "initiation prank" at the lab I used to work at, we had to eat rat food.. . tasted like... hay and dirt.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    ...you stole from the church collection plate?
    It never got that far. And I was two, maybe three. God forgave me.

Sneezy, do you know what heebie-jeebies are? Was that on the MCAT?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Heebie jeebies are like what you get when you are in grade school and the little boy that you can't stand the thought of walks up and gives you a big kiss.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 05:19 PM
    I believe I was going through the heebie jeebies while taking the mcat. Thank god I had some oople-dee-doos prescribed to me before the test.
    gctts Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Aug 23, 2008, 07:47 PM
    I do not know about the nutritional aspect, but you could certainly get salmonella and E-Coli from just handling any currency and then putting your hand in your mouth or touching your mouth. I try to remember to wash my hands after handling much of it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Coins have a habit of getting stuck in a person's body, especially the throat area. If you want to choke to death, by all means, have a few coins for dinner and call me in the morning. As far as any nutrients, no, no, no. Cat food, no nutrients for a human although I've heard of old people buying canned cat food and eating that. Tuna fish canned is much more tasty and healthy any day.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Collie-wobbles can result from swallowing coins.
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Sep 24, 2008, 08:18 PM

xxhopingtearsxx,

Please believe me. I am not making fun of you, but it's so hard to resist. I'm one of those clowns who might find it very hard to make a living at it.

Yes, you might get some nutrients via IV in the hospital during surgical removal of the penny!

I'm guessing you were more serious than this in your question, and it may be hard for you to appreciate this answer.

So please let me post it for the others.

Thanks.

IM4U (really)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the 3 nutrients in blood? [ 1 Answers ]

What re the 3 nutrients in the blood?

When does brown rice lose its nutrients? [ 1 Answers ]

After sitting in the refrigerator for a year, will brown rice lose its nutrients?

Does food really lose its nutrients when. . [ 12 Answers ]

When you cook food does it really lose all its vitamins, fiber etc.

RDA'S of essential nutrients [ 1 Answers ]

What are the RDA of essential nutrients for a 24Year old adult of 6' 1" height with a weight of approximately 84 kg's.

View more questions Search