Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emitemc2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Odd shape/form in granite
    Greetings,

I have observed a shape/form in a piece of cut granite that is a rectangle with parallel sides ( that appear to be centimeters off in measurement). This shape does not seem to be something that is formed in nature. Is there data that supports linear shapes found in nature?

Emitemc2
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Very common. For example, Yosemite is full of different kinds of granites with big rectangular pieces like you describe. Would have to look up what minerals they are made of. Definitely formed in nature.

I think they are impure crystals that formed more rapidly--and so got bigger-- than the other crystals in the granite. Not sure. I'm not a geologist.

Granites chosen for counter tops etc, are the opposite--very smooth grained by comparison to what you can find in nature.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Nov 25, 2008, 10:58 AM

Without seeing the piece or knowing the color I can't be certain but it's probably either a hornblende or a feldspar crystal.
    Ber

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Granite colors [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to install granite in my new kitchen and have chosen a color called Rum & Raisin. There are so many websites that will show you various granite colors already installed on countertops so that you can see how it will look already laid out and installed. I have not been able to find any...

How do I create a use text in the correct way but also form a shape ? [ 5 Answers ]

Crikey,its hard to explain,there must be a word for it but I don't know it... Have you ever seen a poem that actually looked to be in the shape of a bridge when written down? Or a never ending circle ? I am sure the text is also relevant to the shape... such as a stairway shape and the words...

Wrong filing! H1-B File Form 1040 instead of Form 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Here is my situation: my OPT started from May 2006-May 2007. My H1-B started from Oct. 2007. I hired a CPA to file the tax for me in 2006 and 2007 w/ the form 1040. I just talked to my friend and she said in my situation I should file form 1040NR instead. So what should I do now? ...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

View more questions Search