Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagle422 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Trying to work out a payment plan
    I received a summons of judgement this morning from a law firm by the name of Pressler and Pressler. It stated a judgement was brought against me in April of 2007. I received no other notice prior to this one. Included in the summons was a questionnaire about my finances. It said that the notice must be filed out completely and returned within 14 days to the law firm, or I will be place in contempt of court. I guess they are trying to garnish my wages. I would like to work out a payment plan with them. What should I do?
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Aug 23, 2008, 08:54 AM
    It's simple call them and talk to them. But I would suggest to first verify that they actually have the right person, because it seems kind of strange that this is your first notice, and they have already taken steps to start garnishing your wages.

Good luck
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Aug 23, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Check with your local court to see IF a judgement was entered against you. Also pull your free credit report to see if it shows You stated that you had no prior notice but you would know if you had a debt that had not been paid because if that is the case it may have caught up with you. If a judgement was entered then depending on where you live they can garnish your wages and attach your bank accounts If a judgement has not been
    Given then you can try to work out a payment plan
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2008, 06:15 PM
    If a judgement was entered and you were never informed of the suit, then you should file a motion to vacate the judgement on the grounds of improper service. Once you have the judgement vacated you will be in a much better bargaining position. You then send a letter to the plaintiff stating that, if they can verify the debt, you are interested in setting up a payment plan.

If you get the judgement vacated you won't have to file the questionnaire.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Aug 23, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If a judgement was entered and you were never informed of the suit, then you should file a motion to vacate the judgement on the grounds of improper service. Once you have the judgement vacated you will be in a much better bargaining position. You then send a letter to the plaintiff stating that, if they can verify the debt, you are interested in setting up a payment plan.

If you get the judgement vacated you won't have to file the questionnaire.
    great answer!
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Aug 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Let me also add. I was watching Mike and Juliet yesterday and they had a special about fradulant debt collectors. The first red flag should be the fact that they don't have all of your information. Legitimate debt collectors know your social security number, your work info, your mother's maiden name, the last time you went to the restroom, and whether you flossed before you went to bed last night. Well, not really, but you see where I am going. Do not and I repeat do not give them any of your information. If they need to verify that it is you when you call they will have your entire social on file and it is sufficient enough for you to give the last four digits of your social to validate this debt. Ask them about where the loan originated, and if you know that you have not had any prior dealings with the company that they say, hang up the phone. Get a copy of your credit report to make sure that it is not on there. If it's not you are in the clear, they were a fradulant debt collector. If it is on there contact the credit bureau and dispute the charge.

I had this happen to me not too long ago, and it was a case of mistaken identity. Someone in my apartment complex had the same name as me and they gave my address instead of their address.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Can a debt collector refuse a payment plan [ 1 Answers ]

Can a debt collector refuse a payment arrangement? Can they go after the bank account of a co-signor?

What happens when you owe more tax when you are on a tax payment plan with the IRS? [ 4 Answers ]

If I am currently on a payment plan with the IRS and in the agreement it states that your are not to owe any more taxes while in the payment agreement... what happens if I do owe for the current year. I am paying off 2004 taxes and now I owe for 2007... what is going to happen? It will default my...

Payment plan to repay the IRS [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if I can set up a payment plan on taxes owed to the IRS for early withdraw of my 401K. What type of interest will they charge?

Payment plan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have been contacted by a collection agency to pay a $6000.00 debt which is legit. I want to negotiate a payment plan. What is the minimum monthly payment I should ask for that the agency will accept without taking me to court? Thanks,

View more questions Search