Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EDub Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Recessed Lighting on Dimmers
    I have a 15 amp circuit dedicated for 16 6" Halo IC recessed lights in my basement. To control these recessed lights, I installed one 3 way dimmer that controls 8 of the recessed light and the other 8 recessed lights are controlled by a regular single switch dimmer. Currently both dimmers work but I am concerned with the fact that both dimmers gives off a buzzing sound when the lights are dimmed and also the metal on the dimmer switch becomes hot. The dimmer is rated for a max of 600w and I believe they are RFI switch. Currently to test the system because the basement is not finished I have regular 75 watts bulbs installed. Do they sell dimmers with a higher capacity then 600 watts and if so do you recommend that I install one to stop the buzzing sound and the heating of the metal plate on the dimmer switch?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2006, 11:58 AM
    We always derate the dimmer load by 80%, check the instructions, it may tell you to do that.

The heat, esp with the load you have on the dimmers is normal. The buzzing is common also, esp with inexpensive dimmers, and again with the load connected.

I would get a Lutron (brand name) dimmer rated for 1000 watts for the load you have. You will find the larger dimmers will actually have fins to dissipate the heat.
    mauigolfer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
    I am remodeling my fam and kitchen, and want to install recessed lighting. Is there a certain type of can I need if I want them on a dimmer switch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Suspended Ceiling / Recessed lighting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a "problem" suspended ceiling. I bought a house almost a year ago, and I knew that at some point the suspended ceiling in the basement would become a frustratiion. The finished room is about 10x21 feet. It is a USG ceiling with 2x4 USG ceiling tiles. The issue is that the ceiling is hung...

Recessed lights [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting can lights in the basement. I can't decied whether or not to put drywall on the ceiling or this new drop ceiling its made of pvc it attaches right to the floor joists and the tiles clip in. you lose 1 inch. The confusing part is how do I put the can in to make up that inch or will the...

Recessed lights [ 7 Answers ]

Good morning everyone. Started project installing 4 recessed lights in family room. I am running a dedicated circuit just for the lights, composed of 12/2 with ground 20amp breaker And 1 switch My question is the switch is a single pole rated at 15 amp, is this switch safe and OK to use,...

Recessed cans and I/C rating, what does it really mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello again all, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I installed 8 recessed (6") cans in my attic ceiling. they are rated for insulation contact (I/C) . they are installed in a 2x4 ceiling. i plan to lay insulation perpindicular/over the top of the 2x4's. and then also insulate...

View more questions Search