Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kentuckyman1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Mental health
    I have been suffering from depression for a few years now and I would like to know if this illness ever go away.
    nickeknew Posts: 167, Reputation: 9

Aug 22, 2008, 11:19 PM
    I need more info. Did something dramatic happen that could cause this? Age?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 11:35 PM
    What have you done to help it go away? Have you seen a doctor or a counselor? Have you taken meds for it? Do you think the depression is something caused by your brain chemistry going awry, or did you suffer a loss of some kind two years ago?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 12:34 PM
    The longer you go untreated, the more intrenched your depression becomes and the less likely you will be able to make an improvement.

I urge you to go for treatment, starting with a good psychiatrist. What happened a few years ago may have been a life's event that causes real depression, an event such as death, everyone falls into despair when we lose someone we love very much.

Again, I urge you to get to a good psychiatrist to begin treatment for depression. There is much pleasure ahead for you, but you have to take the first step. :)

My very best wishes, :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Yes, the doctor treating you for this would be the one to advise you if and when you may be able to stop or cut back on varoius medications for this
    amermonstarsgir Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Depression is serious, my older brother and sister take medications for that and it seems to help them a lot. Have you been taking any medicines? How old are you? My fiancé just turned 27 and he has been dealing with sleeping problems and nervesness/anxiety and it just started happening. How long have you dealt with this problem? You need to see your doctor about this problem. Some people think it sounds bad to say they are depressed or anxious all the time but as my fiancés doctors told us you are only hurting the ones around you if you suffer in silence. Meaning you need to get help either by medicinces or talking about your problems with someone.
    sauckland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyman1957
    i have been suffering from depression for a few years now and i would like to know if this illness ever go away.
    I cannot begin to tell you that I have been through the same situation. And sometimes wonder the same thing. But have you talked to your doctor about it? I was so embarrassed and nervous that it took me a long time and a lot of panic attacks to finally go and talk to someone. I have been on medication for 5 years now and pretty sure I will be for awhile, and I am still embarrassed at times, but you have to help yourself feel better. I know that it is hard to get even the motivation to do something about this, but you have to push yourself for help. I am 23 and have been through this awhile, but it really does help to talk. Also, I will not talk to my family or friends about a lot of it because I do not want to be judged or looked at differently, so I have even thought of going to a therapist to talk. There can be no harm in trying to decide what is the underlying reasons for your state. It can also be hereditary, does your family have a history? Either way, you need to talk to someone about getting better. Don't wait a long time because it will only hurt you more.
    polska Posts: 33, Reputation: 6

Aug 30, 2008, 01:08 PM
    You have nothing at all to be embarrassed about! There was something on the television awhile ago that said 1 out of 5 Americans will experience some sort of depression or mental illness in their lifetime. You are definitely not alone. When you consider the American lifestyle and culture it really shouldn't surprise us. Nothing is even close to simple anymore. There are more people than you would ever imagine around us every day going through the same thing and the sad part is, they too are embarrassed and never seek help. Therapy has really started to help me. Support groups are also very helpful and cost very little or nothing. Alanon, AA, ACOA are group mettings that I attend and get a lot of help. Even if alcohol is not involved directly or indirectly these meetings can help with depression and anxiety. I have been going through some very rough times and have been diagnosed with major depression. Some meds, therapy, support groups and this website have helped so much. I have met some wonderful healthy people just over the last few months.

Life is way too short to suffer any longer. Please trust me! Trust yourself!
    You are worth it! You can get better and feel AWESOME!

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could be mental health? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! My name is Alexandra and I am a 21 year old college nursing student. For a long time now (since I was about 15 or 16 and has just progressively gotten worse) I have had this persistent and constant strange, sort of indescribable feeling that I am not physically here... like the things around...

Mental Health [ 3 Answers ]

What causes teenage depression?

Mental health [ 2 Answers ]

How Do I Have Someone Committed To A Mental Health Hospitol?

Mental Health [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I think I have hallucinations. Around the clock it always feels like a bug is biting me or something is crawling on my skin. I can really feel like a strong bite like on my arm, but when I look, nothing is there. What's wrong with me? It's getting worse.I can't stand for anything to be...

I need serious mental health [ 10 Answers ]

Before I get started I just want to say I'm not a pervert or sick in the head, I'm 20 and I'm starting to have feelings for a 13 year old, I'm just wondering how much pychiatric help I need because this shouln't be happening because it is very wrong Thanks

View more questions Search