Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cali_grl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Marriage at 16
    Im 16 and my boyfriend just turned 18 we both live in different states.. I live in California and he lives in Oklahmo.. We have been dating for almost a year now and we both want to spend the rest of our lives together.. we know we are young but we just cannot see our future without each other... again I'm 16 could someone help me in what I should do??
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2008, 04:56 PM
    ... keep... dating him?

... why is there the need to get married?

Can the two of you afford a home... food... a lifestyle?

... heck, can you two even afford a wedding?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 04:56 PM
    You need to wait. How can you actually date if you are so far apart? You are way too young to get married. While he is probably graduating high school and going off to college, you still have some time before you too are in college.

Unfortunately, you are way too young to get married. Especially to someone you really don't know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Yes, you will have the rest of your life together, so you date for another 2 to 6 years and then get married

Remember since you both love each other, and know you will be together forever, there is no real rush, merely plans to make it work better.
    JessiccaBabesx Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2008, 05:15 AM
    What's the rush? If you love each other why do you need the evidence with a ring and papers?
    Just stay together because I think at this age you need longer to grow in love :)
    Hope everything works
    X
    FullOfSecrets Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Time will tell.. don't be in such hurry into marrige.
    Take your time. Eventually you'll get your answer in the future if you'll be with him for the rest of your life or not?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Yep I agree with the others you are only 16 and you can't even BE together let alone get married! Just keep being bf/gf until you can actually live in the same vicinity and actually really date and really get to know each other. Then in time you will have the answers of when, where, how, etc... on marriage.
    brneyedgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cali_grl
    Im 16 and my boyfriend just turned 18 we both live in different states..i live in california and he lives in Oklahmo..We have been dating for almost a year now and we both want to spend the rest of our lives together..we know we are young but we just cannot see our future without each other...again im 16 could someone help me in what i should do?!?!
    Well if there are no kids involved... wait. No need to rush and what if you find out later he's not the one for you. Think about it. Your so young have fun while you can.
    shannon08 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2008, 10:02 AM
    I'm 18 and I want to marry my boyfriend we want to get engaged within the next year or two and have a long engagement. But I'm not rushing into marriage. Likepeople told me still date him for a while. I have been with my boyfriend for over two years.. so I would date him and see how things ride. I no how you feel though!!
    nyminute Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 09:48 PM
    You have the rest of your life ahead of you. If you honestly think that your ready to get married and have found the right person at the age of 16, you are out of your mind. Yes, I know that some couples have roots beginning at this age, but it is very rare. Do not jump into something like this at such a young age, you will regret it. Keep dating him if you feel in love, and if you are still together in the future then it was meant to be. You will respect yourself in the long-run for waiting!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Even if you wanted to get marry, you can't because your underage and must have permission from your parents.

The main thing for you to focus on is finshing hig school and going to college because times is rough. Do you even know what you want to be when you finish school?
    13months Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 04:33 PM
    I am 25 now but when I was 17 yo I met a guy and fell in love with him. I married him the weekend after I turned 18 and had a very nice wedding. We were married for 2 years. It was all exciting but we changed. We grew up... I became a different person and so did he. We didn't fight or anything like that we just kind of were like roomates. I don't even think that we couldv'e been friends because our personalities really didn't mesh. We divorced after the 2 years and it was definitely best. The best advice someone gave me and I always wished I had taken it was to get my own apartment for 1 year... 1YEAR! It's not that long when your taling about the rest of your life and it would teach you a lot about yourself before you involve someone else in it. Not that you should break up but prove it to yourself that you can do it on your own so you don't feel dependent. And keep dating!! It will mean so much more to you when you guys are working and still making time for each other even above everything else you have going on in your own lives. Having an adult relationship and still taking care of your responsabilities will be so rewarding. Good luck girl. ~Jess

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage at 18 [ 10 Answers ]

I'll be 18 in two weeks and Im a E-3 in the U.S Marines Corps and I leave to Iraq in June,my fiancée will be 18 in April and we want to get married in May, is that to early?!

Love marriage or arrange marriage? [ 6 Answers ]

I have boyfriend but my parents want that I will do marriage with a boy of their choice.I really love my Boyfriend and he also love me. What should I do?

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage at 16 [ 5 Answers ]

I am 16 is it okay for me to marry a 46 year old...

Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé was put on probation almost 5 yrs ago. It was for a burglary that had taken place when he was 16. He is now 23 y/o and only 6 moths left on probation. We wanted to get married this winter, but his probation officer told us that she has to approve him to get married. I cannot find anything...

View more questions Search