Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red5ctdiamonds Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Rental History
    Hello,

How do I go about checking and disputing rental history. I check all three of my credit reports (Equifax, Trans Union, and Experian) and I don't see anything about an eviction, but the apartment complex that I applied to say that I have that I have two on my record. I spoke with my lanlord (private)and she told me that she will write me a letter stating that I do not owe any monies and that I am in good standings with the property. Will this help at all? Please know that I was never officially evicted.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by red5ctdiamonds
    Hello,

How do I go about checking and disputing rental history. I check all three of my credit reports (Equifax, Trans Union, and Experian) and I don't see anything about an eviction, but the apartment complex that I applied to say that I have that I have two on my record. I spoke with my lanlord (private)and she told me that she will write me a letter stating that I do not owe any monies and that I am in good standings with the property. Will this help at all? Please know that I was never offically evicted.

What do you mean when you say you were never OFFICIALLY evicted - ?

If there's no Judgment for rent on your credit reports the potential landlord either ran a private background check OR called a previous landlord who may have repeated "bad" information. I have run potential tenant's names through the Court Clerk's office to see if there have been eviction proceedings which have been cancelled or vacated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2008, 07:46 AM
    If you are being refused because of your previous record you have a right to ask for the source of that information.

Aug 22, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    What do you mean when you say you were never OFFICIALLY evicted - ?

If there's no Judgment for rent on your credit reports the potential landlord either ran a private background check OR called a previous landlord who may have repeated "bad" information. I have run potential tenant's names through the Court Clerk's office to see if there have been eviction proceedings which have been cancelled or vacated.
    I was never forced to be removed from the property, and after I paid her she didn't move forward with the eviction. How can I get this off my rental record after I receive the letter from her. Is there a website to go to because it's not on my credit report.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 08:10 AM
    I was never forced to be removed from the property, and after I paid her she didn't move forward with the eviction. How can I get this off my rental record after I receive the letter from her. Is there a website to go to because it's not on my credit report.

If the eviction was filed or there's a record of late payment it might at some point hit your credit report OR potential landlords, as I said, are running your name through the Courts. If it's been a while it may NEVER hit your credit report - sounds like you paid what you owed so there is no reason for it to be reported, other than slow pay.

You really can't remove that record from the Court system - it's a action that was filed against you, no matter how it resolved itself.

As a landlord a letter that says, "She didn't pay, I filed in Court against her, she paid me what she owed, I didn't move forward with the eviction" would not be terribly reassuring to me.

Aug 22, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    If the eviction was filed or there's a record of late payment it might at some point hit your credit report OR potential landlords, as I said, are running your name through the Courts. If it's been a while it may NEVER hit your credit report - sounds like you paid what you owed so there is no reason for it to be reported, other than slow pay.

You really can't remove that record from the Court system - it's a action that was filed against you, no matter how it resolved itself.

As a landlord a letter that says, "She didn't pay, I filed in Court against her, she paid me what she owed, I didn't move forward with the eviction" would not be terribly reassuring to me.

Thanks Judy, I really appreciate your help in this matter.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Thanks Judy, I really appreciate your help in this matter.

Wish I had a better answer - with any luck the letter stating you were a good tenant will keep "new" landlord from looking anywhere else.

And I know the "non-payment" issue comes from many different causes, some of them unavoidable.

Hope it works out - and keep an eye on your credit report but I don't think there's anything to report and it'll never show up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2-yr. Bad rental history [ 10 Answers ]

A year ago my family rented an apt. in Delaware, and unfortunately, due to my awaiting disability benefits, we fell behind and owe about $4000. We went to court, and the only money judgment is for $1,300 - (the rest of the money is being disputed, as the court dismissed the case because the amt....

Will my eviction show up on my rental history? [ 1 Answers ]

I used to live in Florida (over a year ago) and I rented from this horrible woman who tried to evict me for noise. She lost the fist time, so she went through the eviction process again and she won the second time because I overslept through the hearing. I didn’t owe her any money and the eviction...

Rental History [ 3 Answers ]

I rented a public housing apartment 8 years ago when I was in college. Sometimes I did not pay the rent until I get legal papers telling me to go to court. I did this about three times, not realizing that even when I later paid the rent, it stayed on the court records as an eviction. So now I...

Rental History being withheld [ 2 Answers ]

We had a 1 yr. lease that expired almost 5 months ago and were at that time asked to re-sign another 1 yr lease. The Realtor said she would contact us when to come in and re-sign, she never called.At first we didn't mind because we knew our rent was always paid early, we never had any major...

Obtaining Rental History from a former landlord [ 3 Answers ]

I need to obtain a letter about my rental history or a legitimate contact from a former landlord. I moved to Chicago from Los Angeles area in September 2005. I lived at the Los Angeles residence from 7/2000 to 9/2005. The building was sold to a company called 800 Gold LTD in 2002. The onsite...

View more questions Search