Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beesknees83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2012, 08:02 PM
    I realize this question was posed years ago, but I feel like this information needs to be mentioned in order to prevent this from happening to people in the future.

I am not a doctor, but I had the same thing happen to me several years ago and after doing some research, I've discovered that it's due to beta blocker eye drops. I was given a type of eye drop medication in my exam called Timolol. Timolol is often used to do the glaucoma test as well as to treat those who have glaucoma. Many cases have been found where repeated episodes of syncope (AKA. Fainting) were linked to the patient having an adverse reaction to Timolol eye drops. See this site for more information ---> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1444852/
    206201 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
    The same thing happened to me today, and I have your answer. The doctor put the numbing drops in and then the dilation drops, then left the room, though my mother (a nurse) was still in the room. About a minute later I began to feel sick to my stomach, but blamed it on my nerves and didn't say anything. It began to get worse and my vision started to flash from black to color, and I was dizzy and weak. My mother noticed and asked if I was nauseous, and I answered yes. She quickly found the assistant and they lowered the chair so I was laying down with my feet at a higher level than my head, and the assistant put a cold cloth under my neck. Almost immediately I felt better, and when the doctor came back in to check on me, I asked him why it had happened. He said that it was a common thing, and that the iris expanding pushes on blood vessels in your brain sometimes, and the lack of blood in your brain causes these symptoms. Laying down with your feet up forces the blood back into your brain, so the symptoms go away. I personally believe the numbing drops cause this, as I've had dilation drops without them before and was fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6yr old seeing bright light - then dizzyness, fainting [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My six year old boy just complained of seeing a bright light, then feeling dizzy, like he was going to faint. Got a call from his school nurse. He is OK now - but episode is unusual for him. He is in school @ 11:15 am - in his classroom. He had a regular breakfast today at 8 am. No...

Problems with fainting when standing up suddenly. [ 14 Answers ]

I have a terrible tendency to faint or get extremely close to fainting when I stand up. Whenever I get blood taken for medical testing almost 100% of the time I faint or get extremely nauseous- and no I don't look at the blood or visualize it so I know it's not that. I have a feeling it's blood...

Should I see a Doctor [ 2 Answers ]

HI All, I have had my period for 13 to 16 days now. For the past 5 years I have averaged a period every 6 weeks for no more then 5 days. I have had two surgeries for endometriosis. Is this normal and at what point should I see a doctor?

View more questions Search