Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Outdoor Balcony Fan Light..
    Hello everyone! I have a fan/light unit that is going to be installed on the third floor balcony of a vacation home. Are any special requirements in order since it is outside although it does have a covered roof and is 3-sided. Anhy help appreciated. Also I have (2) receptacles on each floor including 2 balcony levels. Am I required to have the new code WP gadget on all floors or just the ground level, front and back? I know the "outside" requirements, just not what si considered "outside". Thank you in advance for any help offered! :o
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Any fan/light located outside as you described should be rated "For Damp Locations". Not sure if or how many you will find rated. I have seen many used outside under roofs down in Florida, they are all probably not rated.

There is no much risk since it is under a roof and walls on 3 sides. If you can find one rated, then you will be ahead. If not, the moisture may cause it to fail sooner.

The outlets need to be GFI protected. If you intended to plug in something longer that just the time to use a device, such as a portable drill to do some work, then you need to use an "In-Use" cover. These are large bubble cover that can close over the plug and keep it raintite for extended periods.

If you will always use the outlet only for a short period, then a flat filp cover plate is OK, because the outlet will not be opened for extended time.

If you cannot find a fan rated for damp location, a GFI may be a good measure of protection.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2006, 01:06 PM
    With the exception of commercial models designed for agricultural applications, most damp-rated fans are pretty poor quality. I do not recommend outdor/"porch fans" sold by home centers, these in particular I see plenty of drooping blades and underpowered motors. The best option is to use industrial/commercial fans but I have seen everything from cheap builder fans to expensive Casablancas. Hunter Originals are also a common option.

The most important thing is to have blade that will not warp. Most outdoor-rated fans have plastic blades, industrial fans have expoxy-finished metal blades. Some fans with wood blades will work fine but if the blades are cheap they will not last! Metal finishes designed not to rush and sealed housings are also a plus.

If you're set on getting an actual "designed for outdoors" residential fan, here is one with a really good motor:

http://www.thermalinc.com/ceilingfan/PorchFan.htm

Also if Emerson or Casablanca have any damp-rated K55 or XLP motors, those would also be very good, albeit more expensive.

Here's a document with more information:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/o...iling-fans.php

If you're interested looking into industrial/commercial fans, there's a link in that document with more information on them as well.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2006, 01:30 PM
    I knew ceilingfanrepair guy would have the details on the fan. Thanks for the backup!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2006, 01:46 PM
    I was waiting for you, I wasn't sure if there were any code issues to address

Apr 26, 2006, 08:08 AM
    Well, the owner will be picking out the light. Does it matter which type of box I use? Should I go with an outdoor light box or stick with a traditional fan box? Also, those new "bubble boxes", can I get away with just putting them on the "unprotected" ground level outlets and not worry about the balcony boxes, just stick with the flip-top style? Thanks a lot, Guys!
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2006, 04:24 PM
    A paddle fan must be supported by a fan rated box.

If you use a flat weatherproof plate the outlet will only be for short term usage.

What is unprotected on the ground floor?

Apr 27, 2006, 05:33 PM
    I have (2) outlets on the front outdoor patio, covered only by the P/T deck above it. The are just general-use outside outlets required by code in front and back; however, the back one is completely unprotected against the back of the house. These new "bubble boxes", what determines when you need to install them rather than the standard WP outlet cover? Thank you very much.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 02:13 AM
    The bubble covers allow an outlet to be used for long periods, as the plug can stay in and be considered as protected. The flat covers are for short term temporary use, since if a plug is left in it is noit considered as raintite protected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay outdoor flood light (motion/optical) [ 1 Answers ]

My HB flood lights stopped working recently, but if I turn the unit to "test", wave my hand in front of the sensor, the lights pop on. Turning it back to 1,5, or 10 minute timer delay does not work, even in the dark. Faulty opical sensor? Would that prevent the unit from operating in timer mode?

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Alaska cruise balcony or not? [ 3 Answers ]

We are planning a cruise to alaska for our family including my mother in law, her first cruise. Is it worth the extra money to have a stateroom with a balcony, or is an oceanview better for the cost. We have cruised before, but never with a balcony room before. Any input on the alaskan cruise...

Outdoor Spa and lighting [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Happy holiday's I have two 40amps in the main box that feeding the AC Unit. I would like to know if its possible and code pass in new Jersey, Piscataway. To tap into that conduit at a junction point and extend the required wires in a conduit 30-40 feet to a Spa 50/AMPS @ 240...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search