Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cldmlndz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Giving up rights
    If a father gives up his rights to his child does he still pay child support??
    dream101 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Once he gives up his rights... NO VISITATIONS/NO CHILD SUPPORT.

But he can't give up his rights... without you agreeing to his proposal!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Actually no. You can give up your legal rights to the child, but you are still responsible for child support.
    dream101 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Actually no. You can give up your legal rights to the child, but you are still responsible for child support.
    Not in VA... my ex decided to give up his rights... and I agreed... NO VISITATIONS and he is no longer obligated to pay CHILD SUPPORT!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dream101
    Not in VA...my ex decided to give up his rights...and I agreed...NO VISITATIONS and he is no longer obligated to pay CHILD SUPPORT!
    You need to be very careful about relating YOUR experince and assuming it applies. I'm waiting for you to explain the FULL circumstances of this. Was the relinquishment of rights affrmed by a court? How old is the child?

In general a court is NOT going to allow a parent to relinquish their rights unless the child is protected. Generally a TPR is allowed only if there is someone waiting to adopt or the parent represents a danger to the child.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dream101
    Once he gives up his rights...NO VISITATIONS/NO CHILD SUPPORT.

But he can't give up his rights...without you agreeing to his proposal!
    Maybe you should reply about child support with in my state (Va) my ex gave up rights because I agreed and then include any stipulations, etc... because I am willing to bet that had you been on welfare you would not have been able to allow him to sign off his rights so easily.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 06:41 PM
    I agree with Nohelp4u. In California, a parent cannot sign away the right to child support--it belongs to the child. An adoption would change that, but not much else. If a mother is able to support the child with no help from the state or the father, and doesn't complain, no one else is going to. (Same the other way around, a single dad.) But if the mother asks for support from either the father or the state, he's going to help in some fashion.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 07:09 PM
    In Indiana and Texas and a couple other states if a TPR is granted then the support stops. I have never heard of a case in Indiana that the support was reopened in fact I actually know of a case that the mother did try to file for support a couple years after the rights were terminated (the dad got out of jail) and she her claim was rejeted because he was no longer the father. However, it is hard to get a judge to allow a TPR to begin with. I think asking is right on target with the whole if one parent dosen't complain then no one will know the difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up my rights [ 2 Answers ]

The mom had custudy of our 10 year old child. They were having problem so she gave me custudy. I have custudy of my son now. Now his mom has convinced him to go live with her. I can't afford to pay child support. Can I give up my rights so, I won't have to pay child support on this child?

He's giving up his rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are getting a divorce and he's wanting to give up his rights to our 2 yo son. The only problem is that he was the sole (spell check) provider for our family. He kicked me and our son out on Christmas and I've been living with family since, I was depending on him for child support...

Giving up rights! [ 2 Answers ]

My 8 year old daughter has asked me if her step dad can adopt her. I have not had much contact with her in the last 6 years due to her mother moveing from state to state with her new husbands job. I am in some seruios trouble with the attorny general right now because I have been unable to pay my...

Giving up rights. [ 6 Answers ]

Ok.. this is the deal.. my boyfriend and I have been dating off and on for 5 years in October.. when we were 2 years into our relationship the only other girl he has ever been with got pregnant.. (we were not together at the time).. well at first both were like we don't want this kid.. she took the...

Giving up rights [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of my child has been very unfair with me, my question is if I relinquish my rights from my son, do I still pay support?

View more questions Search