Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerseybred Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2008, 06:38 PM
    My grandparents set up a trust in West Virginia.
    Hello, I would like some information on trusts. My grandparents set up a trust before they passed away some 22 years ago. I really do not know anything about the trust or how much money and property they had. I have tried to keep out of this part of the family "secret" all these years, but it is time to get involved. My father, who has always been considered sort of the "black sheep" of the family is getting much older. This has always been a source of contention for him. He has always had just enough money to survive, unlike his other siblings. The oldest sibling, my aunt and also the only daughter of five children, has control of the trust. My father would like to settle the trust and receive what is left of his share of the money while he might still be able to use it. My aunt will not settle the trust and says she has several more years before she has to. My questions are:
    Are trusts public record? Are they available to see? Who would have this information? Can I get a copy of the trust? Can I demand an audit of the trust?

I basically need any information available about trusts in layman's terms. I am not interested in any of the money or proceeds from this trust but would love to give my poor old father some piece of mind. I know my grandparents loved all their children equally and are rolling over in their graves knowing how my father's siblings are treating him. I also think 22 years is way too long to be hoarding money and keeping the legacy of my grandparents all about money for the rest of us.

My grandparents were originally from New Jersey and moved to West Virginia when they retired. When my grandfather passed away, in a hospital in Virginia, they moved my grandmother to Penn. To live close to her daughter. When she became incapacitated they moved her back to West Virginia to die in a nursing home. I do not know for sure if the trust was filed in West Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania or Virginia.
    Thank you for any help.
    Jerseybred
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Who is over the trust, who has to account for the money.
    jerseybred Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Good questions and one for which I really do not have the answers for. I know that somehow a neighbor of my grandparents over 20 years ago is involved. I know that my aunt has a lot of power and her son has recently been given some type of power. I honestly do not know anything as I have never asked any questions before. I just now wrote my aunt an email asking some of these questions. I doubt she answers me honestly. That is why I am on this helpdesk, trying to find answers on my own with the help of the knowledgeable people on this web site.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Hello jersey:

You're going to need an attorney.

We're really good at telling people how to do most legal things on their own... We're also really good at telling people when they Can't get it done by themselves.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

West virginia, southern comfort, I can see it in your eyes. [ 1 Answers ]

The beginning words to what is supposedly a river phoenix song... can't find it anywhere...

Who sang "Virginia, Virginia don't go" from70's or 80's [ 2 Answers ]

Who sang the song with the main chorus "Virginia, ...Virginia dont go" followed by a guitar riff? Its 70's or 80's rock I think. Thanks

Lyrics from 70's Virginia, Virginia don't go. Who is the group [ 1 Answers ]

Stuck on just one line " Virginia, Virginia dont go " who is the group?

Revocable Trust (Grantor) Trust w/3rd party trustee [ 2 Answers ]

It was my understanding that if a grantor set up a revocable trust and a third party (let's say a bank) was named as trustee, the trustee was required to file a Form 1041. I am unable to locate any IRC or other guidance that would confirm or deny this. Please help. Thank you. Diana

Prairie West [ 22 Answers ]

Why did newcomers come to settle the Prairie West?

View more questions Search