Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clough41 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 06:18 PM
    My mother is my LL, we put $1000's into renovations, she's evicting us to make profit
    Here goes a long question. This is in New Hampshire. In 2000 my mom purchased a home to sell to us (myself & wife). We were to have 4-5 years to purchase. Our agreement was that she would by a broken property for cheap and we would fix it up to build equity that we could use to help with our purchase of the property. LL(mom) paid for most materials and we supplied labor at no cost. The total of labor cost is equivalent to $21,700.00. The value of the home went from $90,000.00 to $140,000.00 (tax value).

After the repairs stopped and we went for financing LL(mom) decided she did not want to pay capital gains tax so she would not allow us the equity in the home. Because of this we faced 100% financing which was not doable because of the failure of the market. She now is trying to evict us so that she can sell the house. She is selling for $120,000.00. That is going to give her a profit of $30,000.00 - $15,000.00 for items she paid for. So she profits $15,000.00 for the work we did and she is putting us in a homeless status.

We want the money for the work we did. She came up with this whole idea and it seems like she set us up for disaster. We have nothing in writing because this was the last thing we thought would happen. I mean seriously what type of mother/grandmother would do this.

Do we have a chance at getting our well deserved and EARNED money or are we up the creek without paddles? If we do have a case can we use this to prevent an eviction until after the case is heard? If we do have a case should we ask for more than the LABOR amount such as an emotional distress award, interest, or any other relief.

It sickens me that we may have to sue my own mother but what else of a choice do we have, as she is trying to put her only two grandchildren on the street!

As another side note I am a contractor who has a very solid reputation for quality work and my wife has had the same job since before she graduated high school (15+ years)! We are not druggies or drunks and everyone who knows us (except my mom) loves us and we are very well regarded in our community as being very good people. She on the other hand has destroyed two marriges both ending in tradegy, one being a suicide, and she's been with a married man for 13+ years! FYI (needed to get that out).

Is there anyone who can help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Unless you have a written lease with option, a contract for deed, or some written purchase agreement you are almost out of luck.If you have some contract to do the work. But you should not have put any money or labor into this home without having your name on the original deed, or having a written agreement with her. You can try putting a mechanics lien on the home, and fight it in court but it could go either way.And it appears she gave you a chance to purchase the home first, ( first option) so that will be her defense.But I doubt you can stop the eviction, you may get a lien but I am about 50/50 on it sticking in a court fight

Aug 20, 2008, 07:05 PM
    If she paid for materials via HD credit card and she has no receipt for the work wouldn't that kind of constitute the question of who did the work? Would it not be reasonable to assume that if I have the reciepts for the heating system and witnesses to testify that I paid them to assist in the work that was performed that I should be entitled? I understand the contract thing but who expects to be screwed by their mom. By the way is it not law that LL must keep an operable heating system in a rental home? I have reciepts for the heating system that I had to pay for and install. Again I understand the contract thing and you can count your last breath on it that this will never happen again. God have mecy on her when it comes time to pick a nursing home for her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Courts don't assume, you have to have evidence that will prove. And perhaps you were merely working off your "rent". And if you read here enough, most people are "screwed" by family members more than anyone else,

As for as the heat, yes, so without the heat, you have the right to break any lease and move.

Again, part of the issue is it is a larger amount that small claims will allow, they allow more evidence in that is not proven ( your word against theres)

Aug 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
    This is going to be messy I can see! Thanks for your answers.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Yep... I can see the court case. You argue that you were doing this because you expected to get the sweat equity counted against the purchase price. She'll argue that you were doing it either as a discount on rent, or else just because you wanted to help your mother out, and are now changing your story because she has decided to sell the place and you can't afford it. And, if you don't have a lease (which it sounds like, or else some of this would have been written in it), then you are a month-to-month tenant, and she doesn't even have to evict you, just give you a 30-day notice that she will not be renewing the rental with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a way to make money for a single teen mother? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a 16 year old girl with a 10 month old baby girl, I need to know a way to make money that will except me since I am only 16, just turned 16. I need a way to help my family and my baby girl, my sister is pregnant now as well and I would like to be able to make enough money to fix up my house...

Ripped off by employer to the tune of hundreds of 1000's [ 6 Answers ]

I worked as a 100% commission sales rep for small company for which I brought in millions of $$ in sales volume annually (I was there 5 years). The owner used the company as a personal ATM and frequently got in cash flow crunches which resulted in a myriad of negative consequences - not the least...

Should I make amends with my boyfriend's baby mother [ 3 Answers ]

I wanted to make amends with her because I'm a lover not a fighter soooo I myspaced her a message saying we should act like civil adults and that our only concern should be the health and well being of the children.that we don't have to be friends and that I'm aware that he and she have to...

How do I get my mother to move out and she's on the lease? [ 1 Answers ]

I share an apartment with my mother. We moved in July of this year and we are both on the lease, unfortunately. She doesn't work, pay rent, pay bills or anything but cause stress to myself and my unborn baby. I need her to move out and every time I confront her and ask her to move she will not go...

Mother Evicting Daughter And Kids [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to this, so here it goes: Two years ago my husband of 17 yrs abandoned the family (3 kids), didn't even say good-bye. This was emotionally traumatic for all of us. As a result the kids and I had to move back home. My mother is fed up with my son's behavior yet condones the abusive...

View more questions Search