Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Parents Support each other
    Hello All.

I was on a thread the other day that was asking for opinions on how to handle a parenting situation. One thing led to another, as they often do here, and topics kind of changed.

It got me thinking... Why not start a thread where Mom's and Dad's can come and throw something out there - get support for a decision, see what other's think.

Parenting can be a challenging obstacle course, we need each other. If for nothing else than to vent or share stories.

I hope you use this thread like that. I know I am not the picture of perfection when it comes to parenting and I need all the support I can get.
    :rolleyes:
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 04:07 PM
    I think this was a good idea. I hope it help a lot of parents.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Okay parents... My daughter has decided she wants a costume/halloween theme b-day party. Her b-day is in 3 weeks. I have got some ideas, but I need more.

I am looking for activites/games for the kids to do. Something spooky, boarder line gross. We are going to bob for apples.

If you have good ideas about halloween inspired food, that would be great too.
    Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
    My daughter was born on Hallowen so I go through this every year. Actually, I have to start making her custumes because I let her design it and I make it.

As far as games, there are many and we usually play at least 3 or 4. One of her favorite is bobbing for Apples. I fill a large square pan with water and several apples. Each person must try to bite" into and "catch" and apple while holding their hands behind their backs. Have some towels handy. Also, you will need a bunch of apples and set a time limit, like 1 minute.

What about pin the nosel on the pumpkin, simliar to the donkey game.

We play the skelton race too. I use cut up printable skeltons and place then in a bag and pair the kids into groups of 2 and see who can created a skelton the fastest.

You can go to www.childparenting.com and in the search engine type in halloween games/receipes and everything will pop up. They have some good ones.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 08:07 AM
    This is great!
    We played truth or dare at my Daughters 10th birthday, it was a blast. One of the dares... "I dare you to lick a worm" The least likely girl, licked a worm! It was very fun.

You could also put a few things in bowls behind a curtain...
    One bowl has peeled grapes, another noodles, and so on. Let the girls see if they know what they are and while they put they're hands in the bowls tell them they are touching maggots and worms and eyeballs.

Food coloring does a lot too... use it in the food you serve.

Good luck. Thanks for this thread, I sure like it already!
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Those are some great ideas. Thank you! I ordered some favors online last night - so I am on my way.
    I have been looking for an easy cake recipe this morning. I am not a baker by any stretch, so I would rather buy something. But, she wants something spooky. She thought about the kitty litter cake but then when she saw it - changed her mind. I can't imagine eating it either - to realistic looking!

I thought about a dirt cake, but every recipe calls for the cake to be put in a flower pot. So, that won't work for the party.

Any ideas? Remember I am baking challenged - so it needs to be EASY!

Oh and a side note - SHE IS GOING TO DRIVE ME CRAZY with this party.
    She is taking the planing so seriously. It's a party - have fun with it! She is actually in a time out right now. She snapped at me for laughing at the kitty litter cake. I thought it was rude.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 08:31 AM
    It was the other way around with the party on my end... I think I drove her up the wall! I went on craigslist and bought three huge bags of dress up clothes. Cost me 15 dollars, it was the best buy I have ever made! I flew those three bags in a separate room on the floor... spread all the clothes out and they had hours of fun trying and finding the perfect outfit!
    I took CDs and hung them on string from the ceiling. Her and I made decorations and hung them all over. It wasn't a scary party... but you get the picture.

For the cake... I need to look and I will get back to you;)
    I love baking... have you tried Allrecipes.com?
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Allrecipes - Recipe Search
    I am going to do a bit more searching... but, I thought, what if you bought a few mixes and let her do her own thing with it? Or does that not fly with her?

EDIT:::::::::
    I googled scary halloween cake... this is what came up in "images" pretty cool, looks like you could take hours doing one of these. I say ask her what she thinks and go from there. Is she out yet? LOL
    scary halloween cakes - Google Image Search
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:12 AM
    She likes to cook. I could try to get her to help me. She would probably like that a lot.

I looked at those Google pictures - and most of those are over my head! I once made a pound cake that turned out tasting like cornbread. I still don't know what went wrong!

So most of the baked goods that come out of my kitchen - come from a box that you just have to add the wet ingredients. I can do that!

Here is what I was thinking, see what you think.

Taking a chocolate cake, mixing crushed oreos and frosting, spreading that over the cake and then adding gummy worms. That is pretty simple and is theme related.

I also found a grave yard one, but I can see where I would mess that up.

See, I try to be creative, I do. But any of my "art" looks like a 5 year old did it. I just was not blessed with the ability to create! I have good ideas, but to put them to action - forget it! :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Heehee, when it comes to doing anything other than frosting and sprinkles, I am the same way. I can bake though...
    I think having her help would be a better idea, that way it can be on her as well if it isn't perfect!;)
    Did you let her out of the time out yet?
    There was a really gross looking one, it was a messed up birthday cake, but they added lots of different colored frosting and candy... you can't go wrong with it! If you really want to have fun, tell them they have to eat it with only their nouths.. no fork or spoon and then take a group photo before you clean it all up!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:33 AM
    I made a Kitty Litter Cake for a Halloween party. It tasted wonderful - it is full of pudding and graham crakers, etc. Hardly anyone touched it - because it looks real. I even made the tootsie roll droppings. Gross - but fun!

I need help making an Ursula birthday cake. My daughter wants one for her pool party on Sunday.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Ursula.. like from Little Mermaid?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Yep, the Sea Witch. When we went to Disney last year the character, Ursula, was in the big parade and came over and spoke to her. She has been crazy about her ever since. Even sleeps with an Ursula beanie baby.

She wants Ursula in her lair with Flotsam and Jetsam. What she gets is another matter.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Wow, that could be really really hard!
    Do you want a pop out one or a picture on the flat cake? I can't find one anywhere??

They only have cake toppers... that might be an idea!
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Yeah, she is out of time out. She apologized - I told her if she continued to disrespect me, I would call off the party. That did the trick.

She actually just came in here with a good idea for the cake.

I told her my idea (that I shared here) and instead of just gummy worms, she wants a skelton coming out as well. Which would be easy to do.

We will see!
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Now, I think that is great!
    You guys can do it together and have lots of fun. You never know what other ideas will flow;)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 10:36 AM
    NW,
    I found these links.. maybe of some help to you.
    Pop-Up Skeleton Catapult
    Animated Halloween Cake
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 10:39 AM
    WOW, that would be a fun cake to make...
    The catapult looks fun too!
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Go to Halloween Crafts (Scary Halloween Decorations, Craft Ideas) - and More Great Family Fun Craft Ideas
    They have some simple scary snacks that you can make such as rotten apple punch(my daughter loved this), monster feet, eyeballs, etc. They show you pictures along with the step by step process.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Okay, that cake is huge! I don't think I could EVER make something like that. I am way to challenged to do something that fancy! But thanks for the link!

I found the other link earlier and it gave me a lot of great ideas. We are going to make the carrot eyeballs and fingers. The cheese fingers, witches hats (looks easy) and there is a punch that you freeze gummy worms in water and let them float in the punch.
    I found these invitations that are halloween invites that have removable masks on them, and since we are having a costume party - I thought they would be perfect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My parents don't support [ 1 Answers ]

OK well first I wanted to be a vet, now I want to be a singer, when I told my mom she said, "no, be a vet" and I have a good voice, should I listen a forget about my dream? Or just g along with my dream? I need advice

Alimoney/support/settlement/parents in-law [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm going through a divorce and require a little advice. Im currently working full time making roughly $30k pa which in this area (north Virginia) is not much at all. I just started this full time in preparation for this divorce(I was previously working part time). My problem is my husband...

Termination of Parents rights and child support [ 7 Answers ]

My son's father has not had anything to do with him since he was born and he isn't paying any child support and he has never seen him or called me to ask about him or anything. He knows nothing about my son at all... and I was wondering if I were to get him for child support would he get visitation...

Parents not wanting to support or take care of child [ 1 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend, the father of my three year old, does not support my child or want to watch him at anytime for me even when my son asks him too. He still lives with his mom and his mom takes care of him when he is over there, not his father, he does other things instead. My son says he mostly...

Support Groups for Adults who find their biological parents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've searched a great deal today and then stumbled across this site, I'm hoping someone my have an answer or be able to point me in the right direction. See I was recently contacted by my biological father that I've never met. My mother and he split shortly after I was born and while he knew...

View more questions Search