Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Art Machado Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Sink and shower drain hook up
    I installed a sink and shower right next to each other. The flooring is not yet in. The sink goes in one side of a T the shower the other side and the third side of the T goes to the main Drain. When I drain the sink it backs up into the shower. How do I stop this. There is a trap under the shower - I thought that would prevent this - I guess I was wrong - luckily I used plastic pipe. Anyone know where I can get a diagram of the proper setup.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Machado
    I installed a sink and shower right next to each other. The flooring is not yet in. The sink goes in one side of a T the shower the other side and the third side of the T goes to the main Drain. When I drain the sink it backs up into the shower. How do I stop this. There is a trap under the shower - I thought that would prevent this - I guess I was wrong - luckily I used plastic pipe. Anyone know where I can get a diagram of the proper setup.
    Hey Art,
    What you have done is drain your sink which is higher directly into the shower which is lower. What did you think would happen? A trap just protects the fixture from escaping sewer gas. It is not a check valve or a backflow preventer.
    If you can scan and send me a drawing of your fixture layout and the sewer main that you're connecting to I'll lay it out and fill in the dots for you.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Shower & sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roughed in basement bathroom with a 4 inch sewer line. I have no shower or sink drain. Can I tie a shower and sink drain into the 4 inch sewer line? Do I need a separate vent for the shower and sink? What I was hoping to do is jack hammer around the 4 inch dig down far enough...

Extending utility sink drain for bar sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a utility sink in my walk-out basement - that sink's 1.5 inch drain connection is approx. 18" above the floor, into a two inch horizontal run. This 2 inch horizontal PVC runs about 3 feet, then connects to a main 3" DWV. I would like to add a bar sink, set into a standard height (36")...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

View more questions Search