Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Debldavis Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Tv Antenna for local stations
    I am needing to know the best and cheapest antenna to buy for local TV stations. I do not like rabbit ears and can not afford cable or dish. Please help me out. Thanks :rolleyes:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2008, 02:11 PM
    To find out what you need go to AntennaWeb. Most stations will be brodcasting in UHF only come February 2009.

Until you know what antenna you need and whether it needs to be UHF or UHF/VHF we can't help you. Need the information like "Large Directional Antenna with pre-amp" as an example.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 20, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Best and cheapest usually don't go well together. If you want the best, it probably won't be the cheapest. Cheapest is probably rabbit ears. Best is a big one on your roof. Try Radio Shack for some options.

Aug 20, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Antennaweb shows all to be uhf. Can you recommend a good one?

Aug 21, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Guess it would depend if you need an amplified antenna or not and some are VHF & UHF, or you can get just UHF. If you get just UHF you won't get channels 2-13, which may not be available in your area anyway. Have you tried rabbit ears? Just curious what kind of reception you get with them. Do you have a radio shack near you? They could show you some options and prices.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 07:37 AM
    What was the color. You need to click on the color to get the suggested antenna type. I know, it's not obvious.

Aug 21, 2008, 07:57 AM
    I have tried rabbit ears and the reception is bad.:( The color was yellow, small directional on antennaweb. Would one like this work,Philips MANT940 Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna, or is there a better one.:D I do have a small Direct Tv dish on rhe roof of my garage, with cable from it to insideof house, is there a way I could attach an antenna to it and use the existing cable to connect it?

Aug 21, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Philips MANT940 Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna should work great for you, good reviews and price.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Yep, two satellite diplexor/splitters: Satellite Diplexer, Signal Combiner and Splitter

Aug 21, 2008, 09:03 AM
    I am not subscribed to Direct TV, the dish and cables are installed, but no service. So is this all I need to get local channels satellite diplexor/splitters/
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:33 AM
    With no service, the diplexors/splitters are not needed.

What is needed is water proof connectors for the splice and a sealing compound such as the product Coax Seal (electrical supply house for something similar) and you'll need an F coupler. The waterproof connectors are usually compression and require a somewhat pricey crimp tool unless you can find a cable with moulded connectors of the right length. Lowe's.
    You do need to protect the splice.

You'll likely need an outdoor matching transformer (300-75 ohm, twinlead to coax) if not provided with antenna. A few $. Radio Shack.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2008, 10:12 AM
    If you are using UHF, use either Twin lead all the way to TV with Standoffs, or a preamp and Coax
    The Higher the Frequency, the greater the loss in Coax, UHf Hates Coax.
    Also do not lay the Twinlead on concrete roof(any roof), use standoffs everywhere. If strong FM stations nearby, you may need to add a trap at the Antenna, some are tuneable.
    You can twist the twinlead to reduce FM interference.If TV only has a Coax Input, then a Balun should be used there for twinlead, with the preamp just use the coax.
    I live in an area where all stations come from 1 general area, you may need a rotor to point to desires stations for better picture.
    If Stations 2-13 are available then get a UHF/VHF antenna, Then be sure Preamp is UHF/VHF, some have an FM trap built in(switchable)
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Debi and I have been communicating off list for a bit.

Some particulars I can share; about 60' run; 2 story house. All stations of interest within a 2 compass degress of each other Transmitter no farther than 6 miles away. All stations after transition will be UHF.

The worst past is that she has stations at the top and lower channels and the 60 ft length will require a mast mounted pre-amp.

1st choice:
    Terrestrial Digital LACROSS-A, amplified

2nd choice:
    Terrestrial digital SR-15 + Weinguard "AP 4700" UHF preamp

The advantages/disadvantages were pointed out.

Radio-Shack and Phillips offer no Useful info on their website. Namely the CEA-Antenna Mark is missing and of course no data, because their "customers" probably can't interpret it. This shows coverage sweep and distance.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
    I Installed Many of these down here before Cable and Small Dishes on a Translator System:
    Buy Channel Master Products Online ! - Categories
    Had a different name/number, it has notches about 1 1/2" from ends of elements, you cut if using the higher channels, They Work Great, I used to use the 0060, I believe is the Number for UHF/VHF, their site shows the current preamp.
    A Note to the Poster:
    If you are only 6 miles away, You may be able to get away with a push on balun to coax fitting on TV or future Converter, then the little 6 or 7 inch loop with twinlead, absolute cheapest, UHF uses the Little loop, NOT rabbit ears(VHF).
    The little loop is 1 loop of wire, not many turns like an AM loop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding x-intercepts, local maximum, local minimum of graph [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find the x-intercepts, local maximums, and local minimums of this graph --> f(x)=1/9(x-3)^2(x+3)^2 using a graphing calculator?

Murphy's gas stations [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where Murphy's gas stations(usually at Walmart) buys their gas to resell to the public. Is it bought from a USA oil company or imported from an oversea oil company?

Comcast Tv Stations [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a new TV about the same time Comcast offered the digital network, Our TV has HDTV built into it so like channel 4 has two stations one is 4 and the other is 4.1 Does anyone else get this and is there a channel guide? We now have over a 100 stations with no box.

View more questions Search