Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NJhelpwanted Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Think I need to take custody of nephew in Nj
    My sister is bipolar/Borderline, she is not taking medication and has started a relationship with a man in NY she just met last month. (divoricd 3 times, many kids)
    She is planning on moving next month from PA to NY (on canada border) and marry this guy (who lost custody of his own children and a has a DUI arrest).

She has my 7 year old nephew. He has moved from Florida, to NJ, to Florida, to PA and soon NY in less than 5 years.

He currently is under the primary care of his grandmother, although she does not have custody. (his father says he does not want him)

I recently witnessed my sister lock herself and her son in a room, while she was having a fit, and she needed to be talked down. She will not listen to reason and is irational most of the time.

Do I have any rights to either, keep my sister where we can "monitor" her with her son, or can I take custody?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 01:11 PM
    It would appear from your post that your grandmother is responsible for your nephews well being, is she aware of the situation, if not I think you need to bring it to her attention.
    Would she be allowed to take your nephew being that your grandmother has primary care,or is it just a case of giving permission?

Your sister has only known this man a matter of weeks,and I have to say judging by your info he doesn't sound a very admirable person,his history leaves a lot to be desired,quite honestly I wouldn't want my sister yet alone my nephew going off with him.

I think you should seek some legal advice on this matter, just to see what your rights are concerning your nephew.The care and welfare of this lad has to take priority, especially with your sisters condition.

I think you need to look out for them both,although I doubt she'll see it that way.
    If his Mum (your sister ) is perfectly capable of caring for her son (nephew) it maybe you haven't a leg to stand on.
    However if there is an issue over care and welfare of your nephew, then you could have a case.

Seek legal advice on this matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get custody of my nephew [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and myself are thinking about getting custody of our 3month old nephew, and I'm not sure how to get the ball rolling. My boyfriends younger brother and his 17yr old girlfriend just had a baby, which neither of them were really ready for. The girl and the baby are living at her drug...

Custody of Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

I am 25, my boyfriend is 29, we live together in a large 3 bedroom house in the country. He works for a farmer and mowes cemetery. I work for a lumber yard designing kitchen, I have been there for 1 year, also work for the park district and a café during lunch hour. I have a great car, health...

Custody of my little nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew's girlfriend gave birth on Friday and dyfs took the baby because they found weed in the baby's blood and now I want to help by getting custody. How can I go about that.

Custody of my nephew [ 5 Answers ]

My nephew and my sister in-law live with my husband and I and she is very neglectful with a record. His father also neglects him also with a record. Both currently are abusing drugs and alcohol. How do I file for custody and not have him put in foster care until the dust settles? Both parents...

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

View more questions Search