Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karen62361 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Adding names to deed of house
    My house is paid for and we want to add our kids names to the deed, how would we go about doing that?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 06:55 AM
    At the top of the Real Estate Law forum is a sticky post entitled "How to add someone to your deed". It explains the process.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...eed-91136.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Be aware that if you add children's names to the deed, you will be making a gift to them of the value of their share of the house. You may then be liable for gift tax on this value. You would be better off consutling an estate planner for the best way to do this.
    deedgrabber Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Aug 20, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Outside of any tax issues involved, it's quite simple. Considering the fact that this would be for no consideration (I'm assuming), there should not even be transfer taxes.

You need to get a quitclaim deed prepared, from your husband and yourself, to your husband, yourself, and your kids. It might be wise to list everyone as "joint tenants". This means that should someone die, their interest is eliminated from the property without probate.

If there are many kids, or even if only 2, you might want to consider getting a trust set up. This will keep the title consolidated in one name, and instructions can be put into the trust telling what to do with the property under different circumstances (death of one or more beneficiaries, etc)

I would use a lawyer to do this but it should be inexpensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding names to a deed [ 5 Answers ]

My mother would like to add 2 of her children's name on the house deed. She lives in New York state. How does she add her children's names to the deed?

Adding someone to the deed of your house [ 3 Answers ]

How would my husband add me to the deed of his house? Is there an approval or denial process based on my credit standing? What steps should he take to add me to the deed? I

Adding and removing names from a deed? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know information on adding a spouse to a deed and removing parents from deed.

Adding someone to a house deed [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a house and paid cash. The deed is in my name only right now. My fiancé wants me to add him to the deed because he says it will help both our credits (they arnt the greatest right now)as far as getting a home inprovement loan. Banks have told us it will help us also. I love him dearly...

Adding a name to a house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just recently got married. He purchased our home is his name before we got married. Now that we are married we want to add my name as well. What do we need to do this and where do we go to do it?

View more questions Search