Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChiefBrody Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Fan in AC unit doesn't turn without assistance
    I have a Trane unit outside. When the air cycles, I have to get a screwdriver and give the blade a little nudge for it to turn. It's fine until the unit cycles off again. I looked at the run capacitor and didn't see any bulges. The condenser and everything else works fine.

Does this sound like the fan motor is going bad or the capacitor is bad, or something else?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 20, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Hello ChiefBrody

All indications are that either the capacitor or the start winding of the motor are faulty.
    Your actions with the screw driver supports that.
    Difficult to check the capacitor, but if you have a multimeter it is easy to check the motor.
    Any motor measurements should have course be done with both the power first and the motor later completely disconnected. Both points that are normally connected to the capacitor should have a similar resistance in respect to the point that is normally connected to the neutral.

Take it from there. If need be, take the capacitor with you to the repairshop to be tested. 95% chance that is the guilty part !

Success

:)
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Long story short, capacitor is bad. Replace with like value
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 06:48 PM
    I would suggest you replace the capacitor first, before taking the motor out. If it still doesn't work, then remove the motor... troubleshooting starts with the simple things first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside air-conditioning unit won't turn on [ 6 Answers ]

Air-conditioning unit on the outside won't come on - fan inside works fine. What would cause the air-conditioning unit not to come on. Thank you.

Ac Unit Fan will not turn on [ 3 Answers ]

My outdoor AC unit recently stopped working. When we power it on from the thermostat it clicks and theMy outdoor AC unit recently stopped working. When we power it on from the thermostat it clicks and then makes a sound like it is attempting to turn on, but the fan doesn't power on. Every minute or...

Outside AC unit will not turn on. [ 3 Answers ]

Here we go... Texas heat and AC problem... The out side unit will not turn on! I bypassed the Thermostat and connected the Y to R wire and the blower turns on , but the outside unit does not come on at all, I have checked the breaker, and have turned it off and back on, but same problem... is...

Outside unit won't turn on [ 1 Answers ]

My outside unit Ruud 10 seer won't come on. I looked closely and noticed that some of the thermostat wireing had been cut most likely by digging dogs. Anyway I have a yellow blue white red and green wires leading from the house but only yellow purple blue and brown at the unit which wires connect...

Unit does not turn on at all... [ 4 Answers ]

Help me please, I get power to all lines, wires, breaker boxes etc... but when I turn on both heat or air conditioner I get nothing at all. I tried replacing the thermostat and that did not fix the problem. I went outside to the condenser unit and took off the panel and pressed the contactor and...

View more questions Search