Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TEM93 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Think of a character for my monologue?
    I'm finding it hard to get inspired for a monologue I have to do in drama.
    I need to come up with one that goes for about 5 to 7 minutes, has to include some non-naturalistic elements and has something to do with slander.

I want something interesting... something that won't bore everyone to tears, but all the characters I come up with just sound ordinary or I can't come up with a good storyline for them... So I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas for characters that could work well with the things I have to use. I'm just looking for people's ideas of stereotypes that would be interesting to see act out a story.

Any thoughts would be great.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 01:37 AM
    How about something along the lines of "Joe gets fired from his job for reasons that aren't really clear. His excoworkers as well as his former boss tell stories as well as write to others concerning things that aren't true about him concerning how he worked in the position that he had. Some of those supposed facts are heard and read by his new employer who then now questions whether to fire him or not because of what he has heard about Joe." "Joe must now decide whether or not he has a case or not against these people who have slandered him because of the witnesses to what they have said and/or written being not true."

Just a thought... Hopefully, others will also come along to give you ideas.
    Moomin Posts: 167, Reputation: 19

Aug 21, 2008, 02:08 AM
    I didn't think we were allowed to help people with homework?
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 03:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomin
    I didn't think we were allowed to help people with homework?
    In my opinion, this ones a little different because it's so open to artistic interpretation as far as what's needed by TEM93 and the answers TEM93 will get. There could be many different responses to the question. TEM93 is just looking for ideas here and not direct answers. At least, that would be my interpretation of the question.

Aug 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Thanks for the idea Clough. I can see a way I could use character change in that too, which I think would work well but I'm also having trouble thinking of a way to develop the story and having a climax.

I was thinking of a story where I am a super hero who is losing there powers so people don't want to be saved by her and she reads an article in a newspaper about how she's just making things worse and she's usless. So then she tries to find someone to sort of take her place and teach them things. Meanwhile there's a little boy who gets bullied and wants to be stronger so he can defend himself against the bullies, he meets the super hero and she teaches him how to be... super... I haven't thought the rest through yet but it ends up with the kid hurting the bullies and the moral is supposed to be "you don't need super powers to be a super hero".

Does that sound like something that would be entertaining to watch?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TEM93
    I haven't thought the rest through yet but it ends up with the kid hurting the bullies and the moral is supposed to be "you don't need super powers to be a super hero".

Does that sound like something that would be entertaining to watch?
    Rather than the kid hurting the bullies (*yawn*), think of positive ways the boy could come out the winner and still let you keep your same moral. Hmmmmm, "How to beat a bully."
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
    I'm not quite sure where your element of slander comes in here, TEM93. Wondergirl is a published and established writer, by the way.

Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 11:54 PM
    "How to beat a bully" -- first, wishful thinking about how to thrash him within an inch of his life; second, segue into beating him at his game. Not sure where slander would come in... part of his bullying?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 11:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I'm not quite sure where your element of slander comes in here, TEM93. Wondergirl is a published and established writer, by the way.

Thanks!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Clough. I'm trying to help without doing it myself.

The public library has books of monologues for and about teens, adult men or women, and even senior citizens. I Googled on Internet and found a raft of stuff that gave me tons of ideas. I hope TEM will figure it out and do a great job.

Aug 21, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Rather than the kid hurting the bullies (*yawn*), think of positive ways the boy could come out the winner and still let you keep your same moral. Hmmmmm, "How to beat a bully."

Hmmm yeah but with the hurty part I was also thinking with the whole non naturalistic thing that his emotions change and he gets really angry so that's why he hurts the bullies
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TEM93
    Hmmm yeah but with the hurty part I was also thinking with the whole non naturalistic thing that his emotions change and he gets really angry so that's why he hurts the bullies
    His emotions can change in a positive way too as he "sees the light" -- that by hurting them, he has fallen as low as they are -- then the great awakening for positive action. Otherwise, your monologue is very predictable. No one would suspect a positive outcome. And that positive outcome could be during the last minute or so--surprise ending.

Aug 22, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    His emotions can change in a positive way too as he "sees the light" -- that by hurting them, he has fallen as low as they are -- then the great awakening for positive action. Otherwise, your monologue is very predictable. No one would suspect a positive outcome. And that positive outcome could be during the last minute or so--surprise ending.

Hmm yeah that sounds like a good... but I still need to develop the story a lot more. Thanks for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Name of the Character [ 5 Answers ]

Im trying to figure out the name of this character in an old kids show... the character had a cowlick type hairdo lol with black hair I believe his name starts with a P...

Need a name for a character [ 12 Answers ]

If anyone can help please help soon! I'm writing a script and I need a character name. She's a young girl around 15/16. Very pretty. She is very passionate and is ignorant of her extreme power. She is witty and full of fire....I was thinking something like Shea, or Kyri but they seemed to plain...

How do I get this character [ 16 Answers ]

Its like a 1 but with the line at the top pointing horizontally left Or Rotate an L by 180 degrees and it looks like that

What's the name of this Character? [ 6 Answers ]

As I was rummaging through the basement today, I came across an action figure that I haven't seen in years. I don't recall where I got it, and I don't regognize it. It's a man (or manlike creature) with green, metallic skin. Its got pointed ears and a black mustache that reaches from its nose to...

Defamation of character [ 6 Answers ]

If someone that works at the front desk of my apartment building calls me a "bad tenant" while on the phone with someone that called to leave a message for me, is that considered defamation of character?

View more questions Search