Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahul_koduru Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 11:56 AM
    1099 contractor position in F1 status
    Hi,
    I'm a masters student in F-1 status. I was offered an 1099 contractor internship position in May 2008. I got my CPT authorization from Office of International Education (OIE) to work from May 2008 to Dec 2008 (which includes my allowed two semesters of CPT). After working for 3 months now, one of my school's payroll employee mentioned to me I can't work as a 1099 contractor position under F-1 status. She said it's a technical immigration violation. She also mentioned it might pose problems when I go for my H1-B or Green card. I'm still working at the company. I'm not sure what I should do? Can you guys please suggest something.
    Thanks

Rahul

Aug 19, 2008, 11:56 AM
    1099 contractor position in F1 status
    Hi,
    I'm a masters student in F-1 status. I was offered an 1099 contractor internship position in May 2008. I got my CPT authorization from Office of International Education (OIE) to work from May 2008 to Dec 2008 (which includes my allowed two semesters of CPT). After working for 3 months now, one of my school's payroll employee mentioned to me I can't work as a 1099 contractor position under F-1 status. She said it's a technical immigration violation. She also mentioned it might pose problems when I go for my H1-B or Green card. I'm still working at the company. I'm not sure what I should do? Can you guys please suggest something.
    Thanks

Rahul
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Posts merged, please do not ask the same question more than once

Aug 26, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Hi, Can someone please suggest something.
    Thanks
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 11:35 AM
    As long as you have a work permit, it doesn't matter whether you worked on W2 (employee) or 1099 (a contractor). The most important thing is filing tax return.

Aug 26, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Thank you. I will definitely file a return

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I become a 1099 contractor? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Hampshire and have recently been hired as a 1099 contractor for the job of my dreams. I earned money last year, 2007, as a 1099 contractor but would like to make it official so I can put money into Social Security and cover myself legally. How do I become a 1099 contractor in...

Can a worker on E3 visa be a contractor using 1099? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an E3 visa and on a W2 form. Am I eligible to switch to a 1099 form and still work for the same company?

Independent contractor if F-1, no 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student on OPT. I worked part-time for several companies over the past year, and I received forms (1099-Misc, 1042-s) from a couple of them. I also worked as a tutor (literacy, reading) for a couple of families. There was no discussion about taxes in the beginning, and they...

1099 for contractor [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation. 1. Company "ABC. Inc", a S corporation has performed service to another company "123, Inc". 2. ABC company send invoice to 123 company for the service. 3. ABC company asked 123 company to issue the check to the individual name of the ABC company's officer, owner. ...

Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated. I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close...

View more questions Search