Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mollyhr74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Contested divorce and trying to do it on my own.
    My ex husband is a commercial fisherman. I am a single working mother. (my son is from first marriage) We were only married for 4 months before he decided he wanted a divorce.

We have not properties, no children, and no monies together. He is asking for a china hutch he gave me, for me to pay his lawyers fees, and $8500. (he makes 5x my annual salary)

He started by taking a large sum of money from our joint account. All the checks I had outstanding bounced. I had the embarrassing feat of picking up as many as I could. He then accused me of doing partier things (not only embarrassing but hurtful), and then said I "stole" money from him out of our joint account? He came home from Alaska and had a girlfriend immediately (she is a partier too)

I left him the new car, the overly priced house we rented, and asked for nothing. I have all of the bank statements ( I filed copy and gave one to his lawyers) showing he had very little money, gathered all supporting documents, and have filed all my paperwork appropriately.
    After 1 1/2 we are still not divorced. I tried to note calendar and was told must try mediation first, ( am filed myself his lawyer is a town joke) I set up mediation which he did not respond to. His lawyer keeps saying he is out of town but I live literally across the street (we live in a small town) and see him all the time. I heard he is moving out of state. I am scared I will be still married forever unable to move on.

Is there something I can do to expedite this divorce, I cannot move forward with my life. I have met someone, but cannot start dating (due to my personal beliefs) Please help me!
    tsila1777 Posts: 138, Reputation: 18

Aug 19, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Get a lawyer. Ask for alimony, don't give back the gift. It belongs to you, it is not his.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
    First off what state is this in ? The reason for asking is because it sounds like you may have filed the wrong paperwork in the first place. Usually in many states a relationship / marriage that doesn't last longer then 6 months doeasnt require a divorce. Its called an anullment. Much more simple. You can file a motion in the courts to compell him to participate in mediation within reason. If he then fails you can have him on contempt charges as well as skip that part and go onto the next process. Another avenue for you is to hire a private detective.. get paperwork stating he's out of town and then prove he is there. Also you can send his lawyer inquiries that he must answer within a time range governed by law. Sometimes referred to as interogacies. On those you could ask if he was in town or not. Then seek bank statements etc that may prove that he was. The idea being that your trying to get to trial so you can put all this to rest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contested divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Our daugther has filed for divorce. Her soon to be X, I hope, is contesting wanting equity. We gave her the land, made down payment and other expenses of setting up double wide. He signed papers all he intitled to was one half of principal paid on home. He has not lived there for 2 yrs and did...

Contested Adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently engaged in a contested adoption with my ex-husband. He has not seen her or paid child support in four years. My current husband is trying to adopt her, but the Ex-husband is contesting it. My question is, has anybody ever been through this? What can I expect? What is the total cost?...

I got a contested divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I am living in CA. After I got married, I have been in constant verbal and physical violence from my wife. After my wife beat me several times in one week in August 2007, I filed a refraining order and moved out. Since then we separated. Last month I filed the divorce petition, recently I received...

I want to fill for a non contested divorce on my own what should I do [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 7 years now. Wev'e only lived together for the 1st month and have never live together since. We have no kids no property or any dept together, nothing. We speak sometimes to one another and we both bring up the subject of divorce and we agree to meet complete...

Non-contested court judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I read where someone in PA is dealing with a possible court awarded judgement, I live I Arizona and need some answers. I received a notice from the court saying that The court has awarded judgement to pay the debt. First, I will say neither I nor my husband appeared in court on this matter. ...

View more questions Search