Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    essay1955 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 10:50 PM
    Paid rent with cash
    I paid the rent with cash, now the landlord is saying they never received it. What should I do? I lost the receipt.
    reeses420 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 01:29 AM
    For now you are pretty much in some deep mudd, you'll probable end up paying double on the rent, but this time play it smart give the landlord a check,money order,or a cashier's check from your bank. This is how you pay rent,and you should get a shoebox and store away your receipts,or some sort of container,put it in a closet or under your bed.I hope my advice will help you. Reeses 420
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by essay1955
    I paid the rent with cash, now the landlord is saying they never recieved it. What should I do? I lost the reciept.
    Did you give it to them in person? Did anyone see the transaction? Is there any chance of finding the "lost" receipt?

At this point the landlord probably has a stronger case if they were to try to have you evicted for non-payment, since you have no PROOF that the rent was paid. Is there some reason why they want you gone?

Prev. poster is correct... always use some form of payment other than cash. Although I still recommend getting a receipt to prove you paid it TO the landlord. Otherwise you have proof that you GOT a money order, etc, but not proof that they received it.

Also, if you know for a fact that there was a receipt that existed FROM the landlord you can just bluff and tell them, "bring it on - I have the receipt that YOU gave me"

Can you give us more detail. Like WHO did you pay? What kind of receipt did they give you? (handwritten, on the computer, etc) WHO gave you the receipt? (Is it possible that someone is pocketing cash and not passing it on to the owner?) When did you pay, and when did they accuse you of not paying?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renter never paid the rent [ 5 Answers ]

We rented our house in WI to someone who never bothered to pay the rent. Their checks for the 1st month and the deposit bounced and they never attempted to settle the situation after that. We went to court, and they finally got evicted. Now, how can we get the 4 months of rent they owe us? I read...

Pay Mortgage in one state, pay rent in the state I work in. Can I deduct rent paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY from California in late July of '07 to start a new job. My wife was originally going to move out with me, but has been unable to gain employement in NY. The new plan is for me to move back to CA in the next couple of months. We own a home in CA for which we pay a mortgage, and I pay...

Last Month's Rent/Pre-Paid [ 2 Answers ]

If I paid the first and last month's rent years ago, and the current rent is a lot more, did I not "buy" in advance, an extra month's rent at the price when I signed the rental agreement? So I can considered the last month as paid in full without paying the additional to equal the new rent amount?...

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

View more questions Search