Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fored Posts: 26, Reputation: -2

Aug 18, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Dangers or too high wattage light bulbs ?
    O.K. I have an elderly mother who insists on using 50/200/250 watt 3 way bulbs in a socket rated for 150 watt 3 way bulb max. The bulbs and sockets arc and melt the solder and even the brass contact at the end of the glass insulator on the bulb end. I think this is dangerous from a fire safety stand point and also from the environmental aspect that breathing vaporized solder and brass can't be good for her. (I'm also tired of replacing the sockets and bulbs every time I turn around).

Also she is getting th the point if an emergency happens she doesn't recognize it right away and, even If she did she reacts in a wrong way anyhow.

She won't listen to me. I've tried to explain the dangers to her but it falls on deaf ears.

Is there any empirical evidence about increased heat and fire danger I can show her out there (Fire fighters experience would be good). Also any evidence that breathing the by- products or vapor of the arc-welding effect are harmful the health ? Help!!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 10:51 PM
    Replace it with a 3-way compact fluorescent. Better light. Runs cooler. Brighter light.

No, it's not good. But you can put arc fault breakers in the main panel that services the in affected areas. These breakers are trained to trip on sparks.

Heat and sparks are not good.
    martini0692006 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2008, 10:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fored
    O.K. I have an elderly mother who insists on using 50/200/250 watt 3 way bulbs in a socket rated for 150 watt 3 way bulb max. The bulbs and sockets arc and melt the solder and even the brass contact at the end of the glass insulator on the bulb end. I think this is dangerous from a fire safety stand point and also from the environmental aspect that breathing vaporized solder and brass can't be good for her. (I'm also tired of replacing the sockets and bulbs every time I turn around).

Also she is getting th the point if an emergency happens she doesn't recognize it right away and, even If she did she reacts in a wrong way anyhow.

She won't listen to me. I've tried to explain the dangers to her but it falls on deaf ears.

Is there any empirical evidence about increased heat and fire danger I can show her out there (Fire fighters experience would be good). Also any evidence that breathing the by- products or vapor of the arc-welding effect are harmful the health ? Help !!!!
    Maybe she needs that much light to see clearly . Try replacing a single socket lamp or fixture with multiple socket fixtures and lower wattage energy efficient bulbs (the spiral type bulbs) Instead of trying to convince her to use lower watt bulbs. Light the area with more bulbs instead more wattage. That way she can see clearly and you know she is safe,end of problem!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 06:42 AM
    The Max rating on fixtures is to prevent fires, they Don't put on a Maximum to sell smaller wattage bulbs. If the House burns down, Manufacturer will not be responsible for Overloading the fixture. Good Luck
    Bobby_Shaftoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 06:41 PM
    My thought is that she needs to see an eye doctor. She may have reduced visual acuity in low light situations, and this could be an indicator of underlying problems that, if caught early, could prevent worse repercussions later. Detached retina and permanent blindness <---> burnt down house... I'd rather be homeless than blind!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amount of wattage in ceiling light fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Fan with 4 lights, 60 watt bulbs. I would like to increase the wattage in two of the bulbs. Can I use a haolgen light? What is the maximum wattage I can use in a conventional bulb? Thanks- bipsie

Light bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

What does T I P O mean in light bulbs

Why maximum wattage for light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I've installed a new kitchen light fixture that has a maximum wattage of 60 watts per socket. Unfortunately this does not create enough light. What would happen if I up the bulbs to 100 watts each?

Light Bulbs [ 3 Answers ]

It seems as though recently that our light bulbs keep going out... what might be the cause of this?? Just in the last 2 days we've had 3 light bulbs go out. (they have all been changed in the last couple of months!)

Maximum wattage for light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hamptom bays ceiling light fixture. It has two sockets for light bulbs and is labeled "maximum wattage 60" Does that mean a total of 60 watts between the two or 60 for each bulb.

View more questions Search